New forum for gear discussion

Discussion in 'New Features, Site News, Issues Info.' started by Chris Scoones, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You might notice a lot of current threads, covering gear topics, have been moved to the new gear discussion forum. Outdated gear discussion topics will be moved into that forum as time permits. Please post your gear related topics in the gear discussion forum moving forward.

Carry on. :)

2. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Man, I need a RSS feed to keep up with all the forum threads! How about an "all new threads" forum?

3. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Media:
    Home Page:
    Second the rss feed ...

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    It's cool that the software that powers this board lets you add new forums. But I kinda miss the old days in which the topics were all lumped together. That way I wouldn't miss out on things like the recent dry fly swap or some of the flame wars that are now buried in the Convervation forum. I've bookmarked the general fishing forum but usually forget about the others.

K

5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

"Keystrokes R Us" seems to be the direction we are going, doesn't it? I will chime in with those that liked the topics lumped together. You could tell in a glance whether it was germain or not and just move on. Gear in particular is endemic to each flyfishers time on the water and probably is a topic that is more interwoven into the fabric of our sport than almost any other. Gear discussions are also a springboard into the where and why of certain gear selections and that involves many in the general community.

Given two identically sized houses, one with 5 big rooms and large windows and the other with 8 smaller rooms and small windows I would opt for the larger more hospitable choice every time. I think the board is getting too many small rooms. In the end most will migrate to the room of greatest comfort and the others will get neglected. Like Kent and probably others I bookmark the general forum but don't often have time to rummage through other forums.

....Still-a separate forum for Flaming A------s and Tag-Team Bashers may not be such a bad idea.......... :) Ive

6. Chris Scoones

Media:
    RSS feeds exists on this forum and there is a "New Posts" view / search.

I agree with the feedback, and will consider lumping the gear breakouts back within the main board. My interest with topical forums is to mitigate the redundant discussions and IMO, this is assisted with the ability for members to peruse topical threads which will increase their chance of running into the thread that just covered their question.

If more feedback comes in with supporting the gear discussion being back on the main board I'll do it.

Chris

7. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    If you are an almost daily reader\poster as I am, it is very easy to see all new posts on one page. Simply click the "New Posts" button. Lately that is the only view I use on this site for some of the reasons brought up. It works quite well.

It also allows those who would like to stay away from politics and other forums the chance to do just that. But for those of us who like to see everything that is going on on this site - it's just a single click away...

Now quit whining and try it :)

8. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    Some people can never be pleased! Thanks for mentioning the new posts feature Chad, I never new about that. Chris your website rocks! Keep it up!

Des

9. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:
    First, it's a great site & I'd happily support whatever you decide to do Chris. Whatever you do, people will learn to adapt.

That said, I'd prefer the Gear forum lumped back with the main forum.

Since I'm yapping already....
    -I think the "Fly Tying" & "Fly Patterns" are kinda' super closely related and could probably be put together into one "Fly Tying" Forum.

Pretty much all the other separate forums I think are a great improvement, especially the Fly Swap Forum.

10. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    I have no problems with the amount of forums. I frequent a lot of gun-talk sites and one in particular has 86, thats right 8-6 different forums. So having a few here isn't so bad. I agree with Chris' motives on organizing threads.

11. troutfanatic

troutfanatic A day not spent wasted is.....wasted.

I will try to use the New Posts option but to tell you the truth I like the gear questions in the main Forum. The politics forum, flytying and patterns forum, along with the gallery and the gear program all make sense to me to have it seperately. All these topics are specific and finite but I wonder what will be discussed in the main forum after this as the topics are narrowing down. I think for such general questions such as gear and reports should be posted in the main forum so that as much feed back is possible. Otherwise I think new users will not receive as much disscussion as they would hope to.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't know what you all find so hard. I don't mind that there are a few more places to read stuff. All it takes is a little movement with the mouse and a few clicks and your where you want to be. All he's trying to do is make things simple. I don't mind it.

Good job Chris,even if a few don't like changes.

Jim

13. Bart

Bart New Member

Personally, I don't mind either way. Chris has done such an outstanding job - I'll rock whichever way he rolls. :thumb:

Bart

14. Chris Scoones

Media:
    I'm just thrown right now. Not about the topic, but that Jim came on and simply supported something, with no bitching. Please, Jim, see a doctor and get that fixed. I cannot take these types of responses from you as it's an indicator that something is very much amiss and if it continues I'll have to shut the site down.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I can be nice every once in a while. Just ask Dave(wetline). No need to go half cocked and shut everything down. Not when I'm at the BIG 6000 post.

Jim :p

16. wet line

wet line New Member

Chris, I really like how you have been breaking things out into seperate forums. It makes it easy to browse the subject matter when I am looking for specifics.

Jim, YOU want ME to vouch for you? Isn't that kind of like the pot calling the kettle black? :rofl:

Dave

17. Dan

Dan Member

Chris,

Could you explain what an "RSS feed" is? Thanks.

Dan

18. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Check out http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci1088619,00.html?track=NL-37&ad=518674 for more info, but here are the highlights.
    --------------------------------------------

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. It is a way to easily distribute a list of headlines, update notices, and sometimes content to a wide number of people. It is used by computer programs that organize those headlines and notices for easy reading.

What problem does RSS solve?

Most people are interested in many Web sites whose content changes on an unpredictable schedule. Examples of such Web sites are news sites, community and religious organization information pages, product information pages, medical Web sites, and weblogs. Repeatedly checking each Web site to see if there is any new content can be very tedious.

E-mail notification of changes was an early solution to this problem. Unfortunately, when you receive e-mail notifications from multiple Web sites they are usually disorganized and can get overwhelming, and are often mistaken for spam.

RSS is a better way to be notified of new and changed content. Notifications of changes to multiple Web sites are handled easily, and the results are presented to you well organized and distinct from e-mail.