New generation sinking lines

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Jul 12, 2011.

1. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Air temps near or below freezing + water temps below 45 = serious line memory issues in clear lines.

In my experience, the Aqualux performs the best at cold temps among the clear lines. However, as others have mentioned, it's not an intermediate line and sinks too fast for most of the fishing I do. I always pack a spare intermediate for friends to use when they find out their Aqualux or SA Stillwater line is useless in the shallows.
  2. excaliber New Member

Idaho
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Troutpocket We fish those Cortland Camo lines here in Idaho at those same areas you talk about. Last year we were there on some of the last fishable days of the year and that Camo line worked really well for us.

Temps were around 30, blowing wind/snow and cold water. We have only been flyfishing a few years so I can't say anything about other Int. lines. The Cortland line is recommended by most of the guides and most people I know who fish the area use it too.

If something works better I'd be up for trying it.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    I stretch my clear camo in the winter by holding it around the back of my shoulders and then rolling my shoulders and hands forward to get a good long stretch. I'll be interested in trying some of the other options, but so far the clear camo has worked well enough for me. I think troutpocket's explanation is right on and I'll be more in tune to look for shortcomings I've not yet noticed.
  4. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    I don`t have issue with the clear lines coiling in cold weather , as much as I do with their sinking faster than I`d like them to . Every one I`ve owned had sink rate of at least a type 2 equivalent , which is fine if that`s what you want , but I prefer my intermediate lines to have a slower sink rate .
  5. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    And another reason why I like to fish with troutpocket. Although I still out cast him with my old, ratty, broke in the middle and spliced back together clear stillwater line :) Imagine what I could do with a new line.

Ira..
  6. Starman77 Active Member

Kent, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    Interesting to hear what others like or don't like about various lines. I tried the Cortland Camo some years ago and didn't like it. I've since used the RIO Aqualux line and really like it even in very cold weather. I like it that it sinks quicker than some other clear intermediate lines because I like casting and stripping flies and the RIO Aqualux line seems designed for that kind of fishing. I do overweight the rod (using a 6 weight RIO Aqualux line with a 5 weight rod) as it seems to cast better for me that way. For deep water (meaning deeper than 10' and down to 40') casting and stripping I use the RIO Deep 7 line and really like it, except that the line coating seems to crack easily and I have to replace the line about every year. I also use the RIO Deep 7 for the full sinking line method of deep water chironomiding; I have written RIO to suggest that they mark the line at 5 foot increments to help deep water chironomid fishermen, but never got a response.

Rex

Rex
  7. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    So true, Ira. When was the last time you spooled up a new line on one of your lake setups?
  8. the central oregonian Member

Terrebonne, Oregon
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I was looking on the Rio website and it appears that the line your talking about is a shooting head tip line correct??? Not a full intermediate sink line?? Just wanting to make sure that i am looking at the right thing.

Personally i am a big fan of the camolux and aqualux fly lines for clear intermediate lines. And i fish a clear intermediate probably 60% or more of the time when fishing stillwaters, which i do alot.
  9. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    I honestly can't remember but it is well past time. The line I use on my GLX 4 weight was so cracked and brittle that I finally just broke it in half myself so that I'd do something about it.

I'm not too worried about my floaters though, because my indicator usually sinks before the line does ;)

Ira..
  10. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Correct. But keep in mind the intermediate head is almost 40' long. The running line does float but it's small diameter can't keep it on the surface once the head starts to sink. If you keep your rod tip submerged while you work your fly, the running line doesn't get a chance to float. If anything it helps keep the head just under the surface, hence the name "hover".

I have a Rio Aqualux on one of my 6wt spools that I use when I want to fish in the 8-15' depth range. I just don't do that a whole lot.
  11. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I've been looking around for a new intermediate line and was very intrigued with the rio line your using. Then I saw that they start at a 5 wt. that looks to be a bit on the heavy side. Since this would be for my favorite lake rod, an 4wt. IM6 Winston, I don't think that would work out for my set up. What other lines have a "true intermediate" sink rate?
  12. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    I am open to receive donations of one of those worthless Clear Camo 4 or 5 wt lines.

Ive
  13. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +345 / 3
    I have an intermediate sink line that has been put to good use this year. It is a Wulff triangle taper that has a 1.25ips sink rate I think it is less than that. It will hover a couple of inches below the surface a long time. It is a blue green color and availabe in 2wt thru 7wt. We stock these lines but I think we are currently out of 4wt but will be getting some in soon if your interested.
    Ivan you could have had my 5wt and 6wt clear lines but I did not think they were good enough to even give away.
    jesse
  14. Leigh PNW Angler

Whidbey Island
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm shopping for a new 5 wt full sink for lake fishing, has anyone used the scientific anglers professional full sinking?
  15. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    A couple years ago I got turned onto the Air-flo "Slow Intermediate" 40 Plus. Sink rate less than an inch per second. Worked great. Rio caught up with a line they called the 'Hover' which has now been integrated into their standard line designations as "Slow Intermediate". Both are nice lines for fishing just sub-surface (no bullheads).