New Golden pup

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jefffly, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

sequim, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just got my first Golden he is a great dog, very smart only 9 weeks old and understands sit, lay, stay,and come I have had him almost 2 weeks now. hope you enjoy the pics also wondering if anyone else has goldens and maybe some tips on training. I am not a bird hunter myself but thinking I may start just for his sake. I think it would be great training for me more than him! any tips would be awesome. View attachment 15633

View attachment 15634

View attachment 15635
  2. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    awesome. they sure are fun arent they :)
    If you want to train him to hunt you are on the right track with the simple commands first but you should get him on some birds soon.
    have fun and post some more pics :thumb:
  3. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Great looking pup.
    I had my golden for nearly 15 years. Never hunted her, but was a great fishing companion for many years.
    You're in for many years of fun!
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,687 / 0
    I've raised two Goldens. They were wonderful dogs.

One bit of training advice: Buy Richard Wolter's book, Water Dog. Use it; follow it. People will think you're a dog training genius. You may have messed up already. Wolters recommends, insists actually, that you bring home a new pup at exactly 49 days old. I brought my first golden home a few days earlier than that, and it turned out OK, but the second one was at 49 days exactly, and she was even a better performer.

Sg
  5. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Beautiful pup!! Enjoy the journey!

I'm going to have to go against Salmo_g....avoid Wolters. There are many better books/systems out there today. Evan Graham's Smartwork system is really good. Wolters was a much better writer than trainer.
  6. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Good looking pup.
    I've hunted goldens for 14 years and enjoyed them all.
    I'm working on #6 right now. He's turning into a great dog.
    Try to get a bird wing and play games with that.
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,687 / 0
    KD,

I've never read dog training books other than Wolters except "Training your retriever," which wasn't even a close second. I can only say that every owner/handler I've met who used Wolters method was very satisfied with how their dogs turned out. I'd probably want to see dogs perform that were trained by other methods before I'd try something different. Wolters book works well for amateurs like me, and only requires a few minutes training time per day, and produces good pets and good hunters.

Sg
  8. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Wolter's books is where I started and probably were most people start. His methods are not seen in a favorable light by most professional trainers these days. Even the 49 day rule has been debunked although many hunters still follow it.

The harmful aspect of his system is that he doesn't give any wiggle room for individual puppy maturity. His plan of 10 weeks your puppy should do a, b & c and at 12 weeks they should be doing d,e, and f is a recipe for rushed/incomplete training.
  9. TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Littleton, CO
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I would agree that I think Wolters leaves a lot to be desired. I don't like his Whoa method and I think there is a lot more wiggle room in letting a pup be a pup than he offers in his books. But, I'm going to stir the pot here a bit and say that although there are lots of great books out there (and I do recommend doing your homework), don't get too caught up in exactly what book to read. Lots of folks sell books - the Smiths, the Perfection Kennel folks, George Hickox, Wolters, etc. and they are all just fine in outlining how to get from point A to point B. But the thing to remember is that the fundamentals of all of their methods are the same - be consistent, be fair, and teach the dog what you want before you expect them to know what you want.

At this age, it sounds like you're doing just fine. For bird dogs, all you really need to do at this point is play fetch with the dog, teach him to come when called, and let him experience birds and the rest of the world. Well, and all the house etiquette that you want to do - crate training, potty training, establishing boundaries. Let the pup be a pup and keep your expectations reasonable for his age.

By the way, the above was written with respect to my experience with upland dogs, but the same fundamentals apply to a waterfowl dog, a house dog, a cow dog, a sheep dog, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
  10. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Great looking doggie....please be careful of that collar....I lost a pup to a collar incident, so I wouldnt advise a collar unless completely needed

Plus, when we put the collar on our 1 year old lab....it means go time and thus, she is happy to wear it
  11. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    You have a great little pup there. I have hunted two Goldens over the years and would pass on three tips. First, Goldens are what are called "soft dogs" in hunting terms. It's really not meant to be taken as a derogatory term. It is just that they do not respond well to harsh
    training methods, eg. methods for labs and chesapeaks. Affection and praise will get a lot more from a Golden than will a shock collar. Second, their beautiful coat can turn into a nightmare when hunting much of eastern Washington, where there are cockelburrs, as I am sure other Golden owners will attest who have spent hours removing the burrs from dogs coats. Third, be very careful about introducing your dog to the sound of a gunshot. I have had good success by starting out with a favorite fetch game and introducing the sound of a gun shot with a 22 starting pistol. My dogs have been quick to associate the sound with a fun activity, as opposed to firing off a 12 guage over the head of a new pup. While Goldens
    are reported to have the best "nose" of any retriver for upland game, there are many more pointing breeds better suited for upland game hunting. To get the greatest enjoyment out of your Golden, take up waterfowl hunting.

Best of Luck on you new endeavor.
  12. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    bushwacker has some wise words.
    I'm not sure the word "soft" is what I would call any of the goldens I have had, but very true about the training, affection and praise and being firm.
    "Best nose" goes to the hunting dog that finds those downed birds every time. I don't care what color.
    I don't hunt waterfowl and would not trade my golden for a pointer.
    I have had both, goldens work upland birds as good as any flusher.
    One little trick you might try. Take your young dog out with a good pointer and have as many days as possible hunting together, you might end up with a pointing golden, I have and it's the best of both worlds.
  13. allenro Active Member

Northeast coast.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    We always stuck a soft toy into our golden's mouth whenever she went to chew something. She never destroyed a thing when she started teething.

Good luck - great dogs