New guy from Maine here ....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by royalcoach, Feb 8, 2014.

1. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Hey gang.....
    Just introducing myself .... new to the forum from Maine/NH.
    Flyfishing for 20+ years .... Alaska, Florida, New England, Caribbean....
    Admittedly I am a Sage/Orvis snob .... but do own a few St Croix and T&T sticks too.

Great site you have here... hoping to contribute more and lurk less.

Anyone headed my way at anytime feel free to hit me up for some info.

Tight Lines !

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well welcome here. Your a long way from Washington State. At least the fishing has to be better than in Washington. I know as I lived and fished there for over 50 years. I gave up on Washington and moved to Montana. Been happy ever since.

3. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Thanks Old Man.
    Yes the fishing is still good here in Maine.
    One of my favorite Maine waters include the West Branch of the Penobscot River below Ripogenus Lake.
    This stretch offers some stellar wild brook trout and
    landlock salmon fishing....on dry flies no less !
    The caddis blizzard hatches here really do look like snowstorms at night in June and July.... love those bugs.
    NW Maine has the Magalloway River system that hold brook trout beyond belief....
    And we even have some sea-run brown trout mixed in with our stripers on our rocky coast-line here.

Cant wait for June !

Kyle Smith likes this.
  4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

WELCOME.

Beautiful country up there.

5. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Welcome Royal Coach. I live for two year in Old Town, Maine in 2001 and 2002 and fished the main-stem Penobscot for small-mouth and even landed a grisle searun Atlantic salmon. I spent many great days fishing those blizzard caddis hatches on the West Branch, using a caddis pattern developed by Ed Reif who ran a fly shop out of the back of his house in Orono. The downside of flyfishing in Maine vs. Washington (in contradiction to Old Man's grumblings) is that you can fish year-round in Washington. While not all rivers and lakes are open, there is always open water and always options. In Maine, you can't do much fishing for almost half the year (and even if the rivers/lakes were open, you would have too much "hard-water" to flyfish).

I'm interested in your go-to patterns for stripers.

Steve

6. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Welcome. Hope you'll share more info on fishing in Maine. I may have an chance to get out that way next summer.

7. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

As others have said: "Welcome!"

And you're right. This is a great site!

As Steve said, I think we'd all like to learn a bit more about fishing in your neck of the woods so don't be closed-mouthed. ;)

I've always been intrigued about northeast fishing.

8. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

OK gang ....
    ... and again thanks for the warm welcome.... Spring Fever is slapping me and is still a ways off....

To answer a couple questions....

Cabezon - I lived in Orono for 4 years....graduated from UMAINE there.
    I now live and work 2 hours from the coast so I don't get on the salt as often as I would like... usually only 4 or 5 times a season.
    Always wading beaches or tidal rivers or from jettys.... never from a boat.
    Fly selection for me usually depends on time of season. May and early June white deceivers are my go to ... some with color some not.
    Late June through August epoxy sand eel patterns .... 3" and 4" olive works well for me.....and crab patterns... brown and green crabs.
    September into the end of the fall migration its pretty much anything goes.
    Gurglers and poppers are the best if you like top water....the blitzes will put a smile on you face for days.
    There are times when I fool around with freshwater streamer patterns that I improvised upon with dashes of scarlet red in the wings and throats that seem to get finicky fish to respond.
    But again, I only fish the salt 4 or 5 days a year.... maybe a few more if I take a weekend trip or such.

As far as Maine brook trout and salmon go .... My favorite is throwing dries to ll salmon June and July. Large gaudy dries in fast water.... one of my favorites being a greased wood special... something about those wood duck flank feathers....orange works pissah... but yellow and red work well too. Bugmeisters and Stimulators are also a kick skating across seams and runs.
    When the salmon are holding deep or when scouting for larger fish I will nymph golden/yellow/tan rubber legged stones under indicators....who doesn't like those thingamabobbers ? But as you know... the rivers and fish have their own personalities from day to day. I always have Schroeders parachute ants and General T ants ready to go as well as several caddis patterns and gnats in different colors.

We have a multitude of remote walk-in / hike-up trout ponds teeming with beautiful wild brook trout too.
    A float tubers delight all of these are.
    Some ponds the brookies are kinda fooled easily on any pattern ... other ponds the trout will drive you crazy trying to fool them as they can be quite selective.

Anyways....if you are serious about a do it yourself Maine trip... google Big Eddy Campground.
    This is not a plug... I have no connection to the campground or organization that runs it.
    It is just simply the finest river fishing for salmon and brook trout that I know.
    All kinds of room to spread out and explore without bumping into many other people and awesome wading.
    When the popular pools and runs have anglers you can find fish most anywhere with just a little bit of exploring.
    I have been fishing this river for close to 20 years and still haven't learned all of its secret holes I am sure of that.

This campground is remote and quiet ... solar powered facilities.... and very well managed.
    I usually spend 10 to 14 days there every year.
    The only downside is the power company that operates the dam will release too much water for days on end that could impact the fishing. And oh yeah ...the river is a popular whitewater rafting destination with hundreds of rafts going down river daily.
    The raft guides are all locals though ... and are very respectful and aware of fishermen.

Tight Lines again gang.
    Thanks !

9. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    I did a postdoc at UMaine and escaped from my postdoc advisor (and the lab) into Baxter State Park and the West Branch. I was always concerned about running into a moose on those long drives back to Old Town after dark. That first winter, I was just getting into flytying. The shop where I bought my kit offered a few days of flytying instruction and one of the local salmon club offered a series of free intro to fly-tying classes. I have fond memories of wading into the middle of one of long rapids of the West Branch to swing some smelt patterns and having whitewater rafts come down on one side and then the other (all very polite).

Folks were just starting to fish for stripers below Orono in the tidal stretches of the Penobscot. Other friends targeted mackerel off the rocks. Your selections are similar to those that I used when fishing off Rockport, MA two summers ago. I will have to add some crab patterns for this next trip.

Steve

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I know you can fish all year around in Washington state. I tried the salt two times when I lived there. When I got home from those outings I washed the hell out of my gear, but my reels still froze up. So I quit fishing in salt water. I prefer skinny water to wide open places on flat water. Here I'm in seventh heaven for all the skinny water that is open all year around. All you have to do in the winter is miss the ice chunks coming down the rivers. You all have a good time now.

11. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Hello From Belgium RC.

Mike

12. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Do you take those landlocks on dead drifted dries? What size are they?

Go Sox,
    cds

13. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

"Go Sox" is right on Charles... Spring training starts very soon !
    What a season we had after the Bobby Valentine fiasco.

I like the Daichi 1720 3x long nymph hook for an "average sized" Woods Special.
    But any x long streamer hook will work to depending on what you want to do with your tie... if you are tying.
    Sometimes magnum size works well too !
    I forgot to mention that these Woods Specials that I have the best luck with have a muddler head tied into them.
    It is a classic WS with a muddler head.
    You either have to tie them yourself or special order them from someone... cant find them in any bins anywhere that I have been. The pattern is similar to the Kennebago Muddler... a classic Maine fly named after the Kennebago River here in Maine.
    I will take some picts of my different Woods Specials later today or tomorrow and I will post them here in this thread.
    The fly floats well on its own but I gink it up and let it dead drift... imitates our stoneflies.
    My second go to after the WS is a Royal Stimulator.... the bigger the better.
    Any skwala looking fly would probably workwell too.

A funny story if I may about this Woods Special and how I came to swear by it....
    My brother lives 5 hours north of me in Bar Harbor, Maine.
    About 6 or 7 years ago a friend of his gave him a handful of these flies and he started catching brook trout immediately.... on the surface and stripping sub-surface.... it became his #1 fly fast.
    He would rant and rave about this fly... and then he finally talked me into tying some for him.
    At that time I hadn't fished it yet ... and was kinda amused at his love for this orange muddler streamer.
    He was downright hilarious describing the luck he would have with this fly.
    That June we head out for a week fishing in Baxter State Park Maine ... hoping to catch a Hex hatch.
    The moment we arrived at the back cove of a secret lake we couldn't believe the Hexes we saw.... in the trees, on the shoreline, in the air. There was a big hatch the night before.
    Long story short.... we get out there in our tubes... me with my woodduck heron which is a great Hex imitation... and him with that damn WS.... and he bet me he would out fish me with it.... and by Jesus the brookies hit that fly like bass on jitterbugs. He caught 3 fish to my one ... it was awesome.
    The next morning we were salmon fishing on the West Branch and I decided to tie on a WS.... first cast I let it dead drift in some foam along a nice seam and couldn't believe the salmon I fooled with it.... a fat 4 pound male.... first cast... with my brother standing next to me. We laughed our asses off.
    Since that moment the muddler WS with orange body has been my goto for dryfly salmon fishing in Maine.

I will post some picts of the flies later.

14. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    Welcome

15. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Welcome! We ordered the snow just so you'd feel more at home . . . enjoy the site & the state.

16. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Welcome to the NW! Wade on brother (sorry Jesse I love that saying).

17. NukeLDO

NukeLDO Member

Welcome! I think you'll find WA offers plenty of opportunity....
    You and I fished a lot of the same water. I also moved here from Acton, ME (by way of a two year stint NC). The West Branch (Chewonki campground below Ripogenous), Grand Lake Stream, the Magalloway, Rapid, Kennebec, Rangeley Lakes, and the Wild were my stomping grounds. You'll find a lot of things that worked there work just as well here.

18. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Welcome to the site. I used to spend a lot of vacation time in Maine. Beautiful state.

19. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    Welcome!

Sounds like you have awesome fisheries up there. Might find myself up there someday visiting my cousin. May hit you up for some info if I do.

And Say hi to Mike Salk on WEEI (edit: oh I guess that's boston...whoops...) Even though I heard he's not doing too well up there. Loved him down here.

Again, Welcome :)

20. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member