New guy needs help.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I am really having a hard time understanding the fishing regulations. I was under the impression that we can not fish yet untill June. I keep hearing about people catching summer steelhead right now in local rivers so can someone help me understand this. If I can go fishing right now I want to go but I feel like an idiot right now and am confused by the regulation pamphlet. Thanks

2. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

On Puget Sound rivers, they are in fact closed until June 1st. The "local" reports you are hearing are probably coming from the Olympic Peninsula, in which many rivers closed today and some never close (i.e Lower Sol Duc)

3. Danielocean

Media:
    Okay thanks.

4. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Unless they specifically state Washington, the reports might be from Oregon. I know quite a few people fish for early summer steelhead around now on some of the lower Columbia tribs, especially ones in Oregon like the Sandy or Clackamas.

5. Danielocean

Media:
    Well I picked up an 9foot 8wt today. I purchased a TFO Lefty Kreh pro special rod. It is really nice. It was on sale for 79.99 and when I was checking out it only rang up to 56.00 at the register. I would say I did pretty good.