new guy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by StephenZ, Oct 9, 2002.

1. StephenZ

StephenZ New Member

Hello Everybody,

I'm going flyfishing for the first time on Thursday morning! My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago, and one of the things he left me was one of his rods. It's not exactly cutting edge technology (25 year old fiberglass), but I think it would be kind of cool to learn on one of his rods regardless. So I went to a shop yesterday and got everthing I needed, reel,line,flies, etc..I am really psyched!! I live in Kirkland and was wondering about any good places nearby to start out at, I was thinking maybe Rattlesnake Lake, but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I'm going to practice C&R, but in the books and articles I've read I haven't found any suggestions on the quickest and most humane way to kill a fish if I have to (inury, hook in eye). What's the current consensus? Also, any tips anyone has for a rookie would be great. Thanks everyone, I hope to make some new friends on this sight.

2. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    Welcome to the site, hope it provides you with the information you need. :LOVEIT

~Ryan

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Welcome

Stephen, I have some of my grandfathers belongings also. They are very special to me. It's nice to have something that has some history, some connection to someone we cared about. I hope his rod serves you well.
    I live in Everett, so my suggestions are mostly around here, any lake will get you started. The idea is to learn the art. Casting, stripping, reading water, where fish are likely to be. I wouldn't worry too much about injuring a fish. The nature of fly fishing is such that most hookups are in the edge of the lip. Concentrate on casting and getting the fly where you want it to go. Hook up with someone local and experienced. It's a great way to spend a day and learn.

4. alessis

alessis New Member

Welcome to flyfishing, it can be great. It can also be very frustrating to start out in. You may be blessed with natural talent and fish finding abilities, but if you are like the rest of us - it will be a slow process. I have only been flyfishing for a few years, I still learn more every year than I learned the year before. It really helped me enjoy my time on the water, when I started, if I didn't measure it by how many fish I caught. (I sure didn't catch many). Enjoy getting out of the house, spending time in the woods, on the water, and if you happen to catch a fish, it is just that much better.

Glad to hear you want to practice C&R. I am sure your books told you all about it... But get the fish in quickly, try not to handle the fish. If you need to handle the fish, never touch it with a dry hand, make sure your hands are wet first (dry hands wipe off a lot of a fish's protective slime coat). But if you need to keep a fish, or you are on a well stocked lake and want to keep one, the way to kill a fish is to bash it over the head.

Not very humane I suppose. But right between the eyes on the top of the head with a good stick. Generally for trout you can also use the edge of your net, but a stick works just fine.

Have fun and be sure to tell us how your first flyfishing trip went!

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Well, if you just want to catch a fish on a fly rod, the easy way is to troll flies out of a small boat or float tube. No casting required.

If you want to take up fly fishing, then you need to learn to cast. And that's best at a park with a friend that can cast. I live in Kirkland, and can probably help you out with that.

Good luck, enjoy the greatest way to fish!

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!