New Headwaters Rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Alex MacDonald, Sep 9, 2011.

1. finally, I broke down and got one of Headwaters' Deluxe rods. It arrived today, so I had to take it out for a test run. The rod performed beautifully, as did the rainbows. I found it surprisingly quick, well behaved, and altogether a joy to cast! My only beef is the reel: Pfleuger makes the 1492 1/2 ONLY in left retrieve, and I retrieve right-handed. For this reel, you can't switch, either! View attachment 44042 View attachment 44041 View attachment 44040 View attachment 44039

If anyone asks, I'd recommend it highly for anyone wanting to get into bamboo. It wasn't an arm, leg, and a grouse gun, so it didn't dent the wallet too much. I pared it with a Cortland 444 Nylsilk line in 4-wt, and the rod worked very well with it! Three thumbs up:thumb::thumb::thumb:

2. Looks pretty...but those wraps are bright! That reel looks to be configured with the handle on the right...what happened to your fourth thumb?

3. I decided I didn't need to pony up $250 for one of their "period" reels, and went with the ol` Pflueger instead. I just have to wind with the right hand, so not a big deal. Love the reel seat on it, too. I'll have it at Kelly, so you can oogle it!

4. It's a beauty Alex

5. That's almost the first thing I noticed. I would have done the same thing. A simple click/pawl like a Medalist is more than ample. Looks good too!

6. That Medalist will do just perfectly Alex!