new line or new rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Sep 11, 2011.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was talking to some friends lately about the recent flourish booms of spey market... a lot of new spey lines and a lot of new rods are coming out...

To me, it seems I am more excited to see a new line compare seeing a new rod, not only it is cheaper to buy one, but also it is fun to discover a new potential from a old rod in the closet... but I have to confess that a new rod or an unfamiliar rod also make me want to try it...

what do you guys think?

2. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Would be nice to see some new longer lines for a change instead of mostly shorter ones-

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Amen. Id like to see Airflow kick out a few 55 plus foot heads, especially since I heard they're discontinuing the delta long.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Do you think the trend toward shorter lines are due to those buying them over buying longer lines? Are we as a collective community driving the supply and development process by our buying demands? I know the best companies will be one step ahead of our demands with their research and line development, offer of new tapers and designs. I think it is pretty cool stuff. From level treated lines to double tapers to all the fancy tapers and delivery methods. I admire those that cast the long belly lines, it is amazing to watch. Right now I'm not in that league. Maybe in time.

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yes, yes and yes... for the first 3 questions.Mumble

Doesn't matter long or short... gentlemen... if you are only interested in long line, just follow Carron or CND and you won't need to spend any money for next 5 years...there are niches on the market, some company are specialize in certain thing... have you see Carron and CND making switch rods?! back to the original discussion... new rod or new line?

6. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Carron has a new 55foot head line that is killlller......shoots forever!

7. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

New rods.

There seems to be lines to cover pretty well the entire spectrum of what one would want to cast, and if not, one can splice together what they want. Lines are also pretty much a function of taper & material, and the material side of the equation seems to be much simpler than what is available to rod builders. With rods you've got so many more variables involved in the construction. While we have many truly fantastic rods already, I'm inclined to believe that there are still many more that have yet to be built.

8. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Trevor,

I agree, good taper and design are hard to come by, regardless what blank material is used... I have cast several rods that really show me the "wow" factor, one of them is the LeCie Scandi rod... amazing light and sensitive, one of the reasons for this high sensitivities that I contributed it to the single foot guide design...and of course the high module carbon fibers...
    In general, I agree with you that cut / splice lines can achieve a lot of short line taper for personal need, however, the longline is a different story though... the subtle taper are much more difficult to cut and splice, if one ever tried... I have tried to map some lines with digital caliper. those subtle taper difference are really hard to get a grip on it... I recent tried one of the CND GPS line, and this line really impressed me...like those wedge loop...

Bruce,

Hope the Carron won't shrink the line further down... 55' head seems darn sexy to me!
    I recent tried the 75' head, and it is one of the highest quality lines I have tried! very cool to get my hands on it (Thanks for the suggestion!), I need more practice to work on my way to the 85'...

Mark

9. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Interesting thread. Not many years ago we were making our own lines from whatever we had or could get. Trey Combs provided a reference of how to do the splicing. DT's were cut and spliced to make step-tapers. Think we all wanted to cast long...as long as we could, that's where I was for sure.

Video above is good but I'd like to see it with a change of direction and stiff upriver breeze...it ain't about fishing.

Today we can cast long and cast short and cast alot more meat than we could in the past. Today we don't have to make our own lines.

Isn't Capitalism wonderful?

10. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Media:
    A new rod but an older design -
    I will be heading down to SW Washington this week to pick out my reel seat, talk to an excellent craftsman and discuss what Im looking for in my "new" 8139 Burkie - its been two years since I got a new stick and am looking forward to this December and January on the Skagit and then heading down to PDX for some spring steelheading. Why - because the Skagit will be closed again this spring - but that is another subject, they did have over 5,000 fish come back home this past season.

11. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    I wish I had more long line rivers to fish around here:) I like a long line, for me a line is more attainable then a rod so more selection of those at a reasonable price! glad to hear some fish made it back Chris, see ya out there ...

12. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree! It's great to have so many options... if I only can fish one style, one line... I think I won't be that into it... cutting line is just like another form of fly tying... when the creativity sparks, it's all for fun.

The video is just for demo the line profile and the loop shape, change direction won't change the shape (will reduce distance for sure). It is fun to cast different lines and styles and use it to (maybe) impressive your friend, but not so much to the fish, at least in my rivers. most of the time I just "lobe" my flies out there and let it drift...

13. FLGator

FLGator Member

How could you go wrong with a new Riverwatch?

14. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Cool... it would be good to see this legendary taper...and how it cast...
    I have cast some burkies and it seems they are pretty scandi type of rods... Chris, maybe post some videos when you got a chance to fish this rod... would love to see it... I will be making some rod casting videos this fall just to help my friends to decide what type of actions they might be into...

Jeff... I agree what you said... I can't spend all the money to buy the line/tip combo just for a try... I wish they have more economic selection... something like "LEGO", you composite your own line...

Mark

15. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

The video is just for demo the line profile and the loop shape, change direction won't change the shape (will reduce distance for sure). It is fun to cast different lines and styles and use it to (maybe) impressive your friend, but not so much to the fish, at least in my rivers. most of the time I just "lobe" my flies out there and let it drift...[/QUOTE]

Mark in competiton casting change of direction helps with distance as you can generate great inertia into the back cast

16. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Cool... great to know that! Thanks man...

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I'm kind of amazed at how many different lines there are for two handed rods. There used to be one, and it was a double taper. If anything, it seems like the evolution of Spey lines, if they can be called that, is toward ever shorter lines that are easier to cast. If this trend continues, I envision either Rio or Airflow as the first to announce the "Canadian." Unfortunately you won't be able to store in on your favorite Spey reel because it will be shaped exactly like the Canadian cork float that it is intended to mimic, although it will be available in many grain weights. You just attach it to your 20 or 30# Amnesia shooting line and Spey/Skagit/strip cast it a country mile. Accompanying this evolutionary marvel of a fly line will be a new set of sink tips - called "slinkies" - that consist of lead shot inside a length of parachute cord that will sink your fly to the very stones to persue those fish species that refuse to rise up from the deep to take our fly like a proper trout.

So no, I'm not overly taken by all the new fads in fly line design, particularly when the casting begins to resemble something different from fly casting. I am happy with my Skagit heads for fishing sink tips, but the compact Skagit, or sub-compact Skagit, like the "Canadian" mentioned above, remind me why I also own a spinning rod.

* This post isn't intended to denigrate Canadians. My reference above are the long tapered floats favored by Canadian float fishermen I observed fishing the Thompson River.

Sg

18. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    what rod you got... Chris
    I have one, but it has been sitting in my closet and waiting for a trip... the trip is finally coming... : )
    I did take her out to do some warm up runs in last few weeks... it is a really amazing fishing rod,
    there is no doubt Mr. Clay is the rod wizard!

19. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    None of it matters much to me anymoe. I have a couple of the newer lines sitting in my splice box having been used once or twice then I put my old homemade line back on 'cause it casts as good as any I of the new ones I have tried. From time to time I buy a new rod, line it up a throw some bugs with it. Every now and then when I try a new rod I actually catch a fish but again I gravitate back to the rods I know best and sell the new ones off. I did keep a newer rod I got a year or two ago. Kind of a challenge. I have not been able to line it to my liking yet. Although I haven't really spent that much time on it. I like the action and the length so I kept is as a backup rod. This year I will fine tune a line for it. Nice thing about not being impressed with new lines or rods; I don't spend much money on them. My main purpose is to catch fish and the rods I have along with the lines I use do just that.

20. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well said Kerry,
    To reach that "point" and coming back to the original is the learning process. Hard to practice, but I am getting there... try a new line, study them a little bit to figure out what is in the buzz and sell it off...occasionally some "new stuff" will stay and eventually become "the old stuff"...