New Map Server Utility....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Scoones, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Another utility for you guys on the site. It's still being worked but at this point I'd like to here any feedback on the format. If you run into any issues please let me know what browser your using and resolution your set at.

The quick links have a ways to go but should be done in a couple days. It's also open to input for whatever location you like so play away. :COOK

[link:www.washingtonflyfishing.com/maps/mapserver.htm|Washington Fly Fishing - Map Server]

Thanks for pointing it out Greg! :THUMBSUP

Chris

2. guest

guest Guest

I like it It's going to help me get to places I couldn't find before. Jim S. :BIGSMILE :BIGSMILE

3. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Well, thanks for pointing it out, and integrating it with the site. I like how it is set on each area, making zooming to the area quicker than with Terraserver.

Now, here's my beef, I use Netscape 6.2 and Konqueror 2.1, and both had troubles with the places not loading properly or with the ads not disappearing when clicked. The sites on the menu were nice, but the name would not stay visible when clicked, and often the site, such as "Texas Ponds" would not load at all, and not show an error message.

I am assuming that this code is due to MS specific HTML code, which should be avoided at all costs, as IE may be dominant, but it is only one of about 100+ browsers, and it got there by either totally illegal actions, or just bad manners. HTML is an agreed upon set of protocols, and MS centric code is just part of the MS World domination strategy.

I can appreciate it that one can be held to the code if one is using IIS servers, or using scripts to bring MS code to the site.

No, I don't hate Microsoft, I just want to shed light on what they do. And yes, I run Linux, and there is no version of IE for me, but my machine has a full compliment of other browsers, so I really don't care.

Rob

4. Chris Scoones

Media:
    It's a javascript jump menu. My code is a mix of scratch and Dreamweaver, fyi.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll at least see what's up with Netscape tonight.

~Chris

5. skyriver

skyriver Member

Media:
    Thanks Chris. You're always looking out for us.
    Stacy

6. Fly rod

Fly rod New Member

The map site looks good hope the dry side of the state has as many maps as the wet side Thanks
    Fly Rod :THUMBSUP

7. Chris Scoones

Media:
    Heh, I just started adding the links. It'll take me a bit but I'll add everything I feel is applicable. In the mean time though, you can perform a search on a lake, river, town or what ever on your own in the top right side of the MapTech section.

~Chris

8. ltlcleo

ltlcleo New Member

Next to fishing,exploring is my pasion.The map server software is a tool I must have!Thanks for introducing it to me!

9. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy New Member

Normally Microsoft just beats competitors by just simply writing better software. I thought this was a fly fishing forum. :~)

:THUMBSUP