New member with a question.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gobstopper, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Gobstopper

Gobstopper New Member

I have looked around this forum quite a bit over the last couple months and it seems a little less cutthroat than some of the others so I figured I would take the plunge. My question is this, this month I plan on purchasing a new sage VXP rod for beach casting for humpies and coho this summer/fall and I was planning on getting the 7100-4. My thought is the extra 1' would give me a little more leeway on false cast on some of the steeper beaches I cast from. This rod will be paired with a #7 rio outbound short line and an sage 2080 reel. Is getting the 7100-4 have an advantage over the 790-4 for this situation? I have been beat up pretty bad on another forum so please don't hurt a guy.

2. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Sounds great!

3. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I love fishing a 10' 7 wt. rod---I have two of them (one is now 3-4 inches short), but must confess that I don't fish the beaches. The only time I dislike the 10' rod is when I have trouble reaching the tip when untangling things and I am in a float tube or on an inflatable pontoon---or if I am fishing very tight quarters. The Rio outbound should work well---I've not used it. I really like the airflow 40-plus extreme distance.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I have a 7 wt 10 fter and found it to be a tad stiff for my style casting. I did like the 10' length though.

It sits a lot in my closet waiting for rare moments in the sun.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Welcome aboard.
    You'll find lots of different opinions on this subject. If you get a chance, try to cast whatever you are considering buying.
    After using many length and rod weights on the beaches over the years, I think 9'6" is the perfect single hand rod length. I like a 6 wt as well as it really let's the fish show off their stuff. Just my opinion on the rod length and wt.
    I found a 10' is a bit tiring over a full day of fishing. 6" doesn't seem like much, but 10' sticks have there own personalities versus shorter rods.
    Good luck on the beaches this summer.
    SF

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

There's no time like right now to get some practice in. I'd be hitting the beaches and testing out your theory. By the time the fish get here you won't want to be trying things out, you'll want to be catching.

7. Gobstopper

Gobstopper New Member

Th

That's the plan.

8. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I have beach fished quite a lot. I'm also a fan of the six weight and fish my 9' TFO TiCrX with rio outbound intermediate almost exclusively, or switch spools to my Airflo shooting head floater. Both lines are 7 on the six-weight, the overload works well with the ultra fast TFO.

Re Rio Outbound: maybe they've improved the situation by now, mine is about 5 years old, but it has a TON of memory. I started stretching the line on my bumper hitch and coiling it all in my stripping basket before heading to the water, and never reeling the sucker in. Even the running line has memory, but man the head is super-memory.

Anyone know if they reformulated the line to reduce memory?

9. Steve Saville

The older lines had a floating running line that tangled pretty easily. They have since switched to a super slick, intermediate sinking running line. It has less memory but I have never heard that the head gets tangled. I have fished the line for about the past ten years. I have several weights in both cold water and tropical; never ran into that issue.

10. jwg

jwg Active Member

Go with Airflo 40 plus to avoid memory problems and get a longer line lifetime.
    That's my 2 cents on the matter

Jay

11. Steve Saville

It's a matter of preference. I have both lines and prefer the Outbound.

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

10' vs 9' in wide open spaces is an interesting question. I prefer 10', but the tradeoff for you might be reduced accuracy and reduced distance in the heaviest winds. Around accuracy, it's probably not a worry - it's more of a worry fishing a river from a boat. As for wind, lots of guys who fish wide open tropical flats prefer rods less than 9' long because you can form a smaller loop on your forward cast with a slightly shorter rod, which slices through a headwind better. Still, I'd say around here a 10' rod for the beach is a great choice. 9' will be very similar in practice. More important, make sure you actually like the rod you choose.

13. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Don't get me wrong, I actually like my Rio Outbound intermediate - once it's stretched. It shoots great, and has a good sink rate - faster than my freshwater Cortland Camo line. Unless I'm fishing really shallow water with damsels and need the slower sink, I fish my 6-weight with that coldwater intermediate when I fish lakes.

Re the 10' rod, there have been times in areas with steeper beaches that it may have been helpful, but not frequently enough or not bothersome enough that I would move up. I have a 9'9" St Croix Legend Ultra 7-weight that I started out beach fishing with, before I bought my 9' 6-weight specifically for beaches, and I completely quit fishing the 9'9". That bigger rod wears on me a lot more over the day. I only fish that 7 when I'm unsuccessfully fishing for steelhead.