New Pontoon Boat... Now what?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by chadk, Aug 7, 2007.

1. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    buy a swivil for the seat. you will be glad you did. With a lock for river fishing!.
  2. djzaro New Member

gone, bs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have that boat, great buy!! You said something about the salt, make sure you rinse it good when you are done. When you are ready to put it up for the off season, take it apart and sand the rust, then paint the areas with non rust paint. This boat will last a life time if you take care of it. Oh.... and no replies about the rust, no matter what brand you have you will get rust on the frame at some point, always on the connections.
  3. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    beer holder :rofl:
  4. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA
    Wow... I haven't seen anybody mention this, so I'll say it...

NICE FINS!

If I had a choice I'd rather use my fins then my oars for lake fishing... Cast and move, cast and move...

Scott
  5. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Good point. I have some cheapo step in kind for my float tube. That will have to do for now. But I'll upgrade later.
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    End of the season? What does that mean? :confused: There is no end to the season as far as I'm concerned:cool:

But good point about rinsing and watching for rust. I have my black rustoleum (sp) ready to go :)
  7. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Is there a certain kind I need to get for pontoons?
  8. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Chadk, since you do quite a bit of still water, I'd suggest a couple of small anchors. I've seen some spiffy dual anchor setups, but don't remember the brand. One guy I did see had a couple of Scotty pocket pullers strapped to the tubes on diagonal sides and had two small 8lb anchors... Indespensible for chronie fishing! :)

-- Cheers
    -- James
  9. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    I just picked up 2 10lb pyramid anchors (one for each boat).

For still water, I was planning to use the anchor(s) I used in my aluminum boat as secondary anchors- one is a 10lb mushroom, the other is a 20lb swivel type - overkill, but better than nothing.
  10. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.

What sort of rod holders?

I figure for still water, I'll want one for use when trolling (if I'm not using my fins). I think I like the one made by Outcast\Fish Cat that fits onto the frame as opposed to strapping around the pontoon.

But I'll also need something to hold the rods while heading down the river. I have a hard case that fits my rod in 2 peices including the reel. That will keep one safe. But I'll have more than one rod, so I'll need another plan for that (those)...
  11. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    I bought mine at new englend marine. Its basictly just a boat seat swivial. get the locking one if you row the river. You'll need new bolts though. when finished grind the exses off.
  12. RichRede Duwane

Kennewick, WA
    I would get a spare oarlock and pins. There has been at least once where one of my fishing mates lost their oarlock in one of their many duffle bags and had to improvise like MacGiver! Of course it showed up when we left, but it made for an interesting day of fishing!
  13. RichRede Duwane

Kennewick, WA
    Buy a spare oarlock and pins. At least once my fishing mates have lost one and had to do a MacGiver! Made for an interesting day. Of course it turned up in one of his many duffle bags when we packed up at the end of the day. Always have some spare parts or your day could be runned!
  14. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    OK, so I was wrong. Very wrong. It came fully loaded :)

7' oars
    brass oar locks, oar stops
    anchor system
    motor mount
    cargo deck
    Fish Cat Rod Holder
    Padded Folding Seat
    Stripping apron
    Seat Sling (mesh 'basket' that attaches below the seat)
    2 Saddle Bags
    Repair Kit

Oh, and since we bought 2 boats, he tossed in 2 pumps. When we made that deal, I figured I'd get the cheapo $20 pump. But he gave us 2 of the $40 double action pumps :)

Now to test it out this weeked...
  15. dp ~El Pescador

.Renton, Wa
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    for holding your rods on your boat - velcro strips.
    there are some at Outdoor Emporium that are about 6 inches long (1.00 ea.). Wrap them around the frame of your boat (where the frame sits on top of the pontoons). Use them to secure your rods against your frame. Works great
  16. Shane Atwood New Member

Tacoma, WA
    I would suggest that you get a Scotty fly rod holder. They have a couple of different configurations, one to mount to the frame and another to belt around the 'toon. I got mine at Sportco, they had the best selection.

As far as an anchor goes, I would suggest using some log chain. I talked to a guide on the Yak and that is all they use. They don't loose as many anchors with chain because it hardly ever gets wedged on the bottom. I coiled up about 12-15lbs on a stainless hook and it works great in the river and lakes.

Shane