New pontoon frame

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Dirk Pitt, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Dirk Pitt New Member

Tenino, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  2. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    very nice work!
  3. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    Hi Dirk,

Looks nice. I did have one question though. Will you be able to use fins to propel the finished pontoon boat? The deck plate extends out quite far from where the seat is located. Could you trim an opening? Now, you may not mind not being able to fin your way around, but I have found that having fins is great for slow trolling on lakes and for maintaining position in a breeze or when floating down a river like the Yakima. You can't row and hold a rod at the same time. Of course, you could simply have your son hold the rod while you row, but otherwise...

I don't have any good suggestions for rod holders. I usually just stick the reel end of my rod in one of the large back pockets in my Bucks Bronco, but I'm not that happy with that arrangement because I don't want to break the tip if I run into something. You can buy traditional rod holders for a pontoon boat (a bit spendy IMHO) or makes some yourself, but I still worry that I'll be so concerned with navigating the boat that I'll forget that I have this thin wand of graphite hanging off the boat just waiting to snag on a rock or low-hanging branch. I had thought of putting in a PVC channel to hold the rod, but that seems like snag city.

Steve
  4. Dirk Pitt New Member

Tenino, Wa
    I deliberately didn't leave room for fins. I don't plan on taking the pontoon to lakes, got a Lund for that. This boat is just for rivers, 'Nooch, Satsop, etc..I really liked the Skookum steelheader, but didn't want to spend that kind of money, so this is the answer. I plan of doing a lot of salmon and steelhead fishing both in it, and hopping out on gravel bars. My first float will be on the 8th on the Chehalis, nice easy float from Oakville to Porter. Might luck out and pick up really late steelhead, but trout are the primary focus for now. Bob.
  5. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    Hi Dirk,

The design makes more a lot more sense if you're not going to planning to use it to fish on the move while in rivers. In my case, last week on the Yak, I used my fins to keep my pontoon boat positioned while casting to likely holding spots as I drifted downstream. Of course, that's a whole different style of fishing when compared to the classic "mend and swing".

Good luck on your maiden voyage!!

Steve
  6. Dirk Pitt New Member

Tenino, Wa
    Wish I could take credit for the basic frame, but Sos, at Xstream in Tukwila built the basic frame, with a few suggestions from me. I added the floor,anchor,etc. The boat is not specifically designed just for fly fishing, it's a jack of all trades for all river species. Anyone have any suggestions for the area we are hitting on the Chehalis as far as favorite flies/techniques? Never fished the Chehalis in this area,Oakville to Porter, so I have no clue, thinking maybe wooliebuggers and such, don't know if any hatches are happening yet. Bob.