New popgun

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    I debated bragging about this one and then said to myself, "why not?"

The newest resident in the Orvis Gold safe is a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 in 28 bore. She sports 28 inch variable choke barrels. Petite framed with a pistol grip and selectable single trigger. I haven't weighed it yet, but I suspect a sub 6 pound weight. Coin finished receiver, decent furniture, and a suitable pad.

I just happened to score a butt load of AA compression formed hulls and I'm stuffing some with 13 grains of 20/28 powder which should push the 3/4 ounce of lead at about 1200fps. Grouse should start saying their prayers soon, as the season is only 3 weeks away. Between this little girl and her big sister, the 20 bore RBL, no bird is safe this year.

With no further adieu...

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    I don't hunt and know very little about guns, but that is beautiful. Wonderful finish on the wood. The rug's not too shabby either.
  3. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +641 / 0
    Very nice, Roper. Hopefully there's a bumper crop of aerobatic mountain chickens awaiting the christening. BTW, when shooting lead or NICE shot, I have had good results choking my 28 doubles improved & full.
  4. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    Why Not...indeed! That's one sweet scatter gun. I hear grouse quivering already.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +963 / 1
    That's a good excuse to get another shotshell reloader.
  6. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    Nice "smoke wagon", Roper.
  7. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Nice stack-barrel, I had one once upon a time, wish I still had did. It WILL be a super grouse gun!
  8. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    What a nice addition. Almost too pretty to take out. I have an older 20ga citori that usually gets the nod for grouse work. It is short and light. Glad you and Chick could get together on the hulls. I will profit from the Fiocchi hulls that were in the mix when Chick is back on his feet. My 28 is an 870 so I like some hulls I don't mind losing.
  9. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Oooooo!! I want one! We'll have to compare patterns between your handloads and my RST shells for our 28bores!
  10. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
  11. Tool Fly Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Dang, that is sweet. I shoot a 686 Onxy in 12 ga. field grade and think THAT feels light. I can only imagine how nice your 28 will be in the field. Enjoy!
  12. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0

Actually a new Purdey would be about $80k more. :)
    tkww likes this.
  13. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Every time Patty questions my purchase of another whatever-boat, fly rod, gun-I just mention Roper's gun safe, and I look frugal by comparison! Rick
    Roper likes this.
  14. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    Every time Glenda questions a new purchase she says "when did you want to retire...?" I'm buying all my toys now so when I do retire I won't need to spend more than gas money...;)
    Ed Call and constructeur like this.
  15. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +725 / 1
    Seems reasonable and prudent to me... if that helps you with your deep rooted guilt :D.
    Roper likes this.