New Pro Bass Shop in south Tacoma but support Puget Sound Fly Co.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roger Stephens, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Sign up for the BPS/Cabelas/REI credit card, buy all your stuff from Anil, and use your dividend with the big guys. Got me a free GoPro Hero3 this year from REI. Last year it was a stove and a tent.

WonkyWapiti and flyfishingeric1 like this.
  2. Its funny you say that because that the same thing I told my wife. When we used the cabelas card she was like you can get your fly stuff from there and I was like um NO but we can use it to get a tent or some sleeping bags.lol

3. Hopefully, when this BPS opens people (like me, this year) will visit the big store, end up breaking the ice and getting into the sport and then realize there are places to get better gear and support a local business at the same time. Long live PSFC.

4. The first time I walked into Anil's shop to buy a few things I needed before heading off to a beach I had in mind, he showed my how to tie a shock-and-awe and gave me the fly he'd just tied. Awesome customer service, great shop. When I still lived down that way it was where I would go if I needed something on my way to the beaches. Long live PSFC.

5. I visited one of these stores in Michigan. Not so great in the fly fishing department.

6. Yea, don't think I would ever go there for fly fishing in the first place. Although, I'm sure you can get some good deals on stuff for gear fishing - its not really their specialty. Either way, I don't think it should have too much of an effect on PSFC. I have dealt with their shop and they are awesome. I have been to quite a few fly shops, and thier service is about as good as it gets. If someone is going to shop at BPS for their fly fishing needs, they may be disappointed with both the product and the service they receive.

7. Still can't believe that my wife walked in and asked for the best rain jacket they had - They sold her the best, then I got the Visa bill. Still have that coat, and it is the best.

Support PSFC!

MB

8. I'd figure that shoppers at BPS would be the same ones that chucked the packaging from their new cheapo fly rod outfit on a gravel bar one fine day. Man, don't those chuckers know it's hard to fold up that cardboard small enough to fit into the back of my vest? So inconsiderate.

9. I frequent a lot of BPS around the country and think they are a great store. I like their fishing shirts and other clothing, but I wouldn't ever consider buying fly gear there because they don't cater to that type of fisherman. I don't know Anil's shop but I am certain that they offer something you will never get with the big box stores, that is the personal touch. The local fly shops know the gear, they know the sport, and they use the products. If they are good at their job they won't be put out of business by a BPS. Competition is good if you know your niche....

10. My lucky fishing hat that I've had since 2003 is from a Bass Pro in St. Charles Missouri.

And that's the extent of purchases I've made at Bass Pro

Steve Simoneaux likes this.
  11. I was recently in Louisiana and stopped in the BP in Baton Rouge. Relative to the Lacey Cabelas, I was favorably impressed with their fly fishing department. Given their location, the FF department was about the same size as the one at Cabelas and better stocked. They also had a good assortment of fly tying materials.
    I figure the big box stores are a good option for picking up materials that I haven't been able to find at local shops. I bought some very small chenille at BP that I've been looking for at the local shops (GH, PS and even Sportco) with no luck.

12. Other than needing to spend $25 on the Bass Pro gift card that came with a NRA renewal, they have nothing in the fly fishing department to worry our local fly shops.

13. There's a place for mass market retailers and there's a place for high-end niche shops. Mass market retailers can actually help niche retailers by expanding the market for fly fishing gear, since a certain percentage of the people that get started with gear that they bought from BPS will eventually seek out specialized products, expertise, and higher end gear at niche shops.

That's what happened in my case - I started young, no one in my family or anyone I knew had ever fly fished before, and I picked up my first gear at Fred Myers when I was 11 or 12. I had no idea specialty fly shops even existed, and even if I did, there's no way I could have or would have been able to buy a complete outfit with the money I had. By the time I was 14 I was tying my own flies and spending big chunks of my paper-route money at The Morning Hatch. I have no idea how much money I've spent on fly-gear at specialty stores at this point, but it's possible that the total could well have been zero if I hadn't been able to get my hands on that first $20 outfit.

I witnessed the same thing happen with my brother in law recently. His wife bought him a complete entry level outfit three years ago and since that time he's purchased gear worth around 20X as much as the cost of the original outfit at local specialty retailers.

I'm sure it's waaaay easier said than done, but I'm convinced that if local specialty retailers play their cards right the arrival of a mass-market retailer can actually help their business grow.

14. Maybe hiring teenager in a caddis fly costume to wave an orange sign at the intersection at 72nd?

Steve Simoneaux likes this.