New research on magnetic cues for migration in salmon

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cabezon, Feb 6, 2014.

1. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    I just read an except of a new study in Current Biology on chinook salmon that demonstrated that juveniles without any prior migration experience can change their orientations in response to changes in magnetic fields. Their orientations are appropriate to establishing the normal limits of their marine migrations in the Pacific. You can find an abstract of the study here: http://www.cell.com/current-biology/retrieve/pii/S0960982214000189. A friend of mine at UNC Chapel Hill, Ken Lohman, has done similar research with newly hatched sea turtles; he and his lab have demonstrated that the young turtle's movements are designed first to move them into the Gulf Stream and then keep them toward the center of the Atlantic gyre. Cool stuff.

Steve
  2. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    Yeah I just saw that but haven't read it read. Not good if those doom-sayers are right about pole-reversal.
  3. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Interesting point. But as reversals happen at periods of between 100,000 to 1 million years (and may take a few hundred years to complete), one presumes that the species have endured through them. And I wouldn't be surprised if there are redundancies built into their migration patterns, just as birds can use both celestial cues on a clear night and magnetic cues on an overcast night when migrating.

Steve