Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

new rod for winter work

Spey 
7K views 68 replies 40 participants last post by  shotgunner 
#1 ·
Lookin for some words on rods for heavy tips and flies fishing compact skagits.

I've been fishing a 13' deer creek 7/8 for the last few years and have literally fished the cork off it. It's time to upgrade to something nice I can hang on to. Not lookin for a "do all year round only one rod" type deal but something for sink tips on skagit heads that is comfortable with a chunk of t17 and some of my rowdy patterns.

Thanks for any input. I realize its personal preference but I'm not too big of a gear nerd at all I've made due with what Ive had just lookin to upgrade.

#2 ·
Sean, it's hard to beat your current rod under mid price range...
what kind of other elements you are looking for? I have fished a lot of T14 and T17 with MKS 13'6 7/8
great stick and great feel... I prefer MKS action (strong tip, deep band for sinktips). another two new rods I have been fishing with skagit head and sinktips are TCX 7126 and CPX 712'9 both has similar action and handle T17 with comfort.

BTW, lately, I have found the 12'6 ish length rods are really fun/interesting to fish. You can match it with regular campact skagit (24') or skagit short line (20'). Both lines will fit, but the shorter line (20') has more guts to carry heavy sinktip. If you compare 480 grain Airflo compact skagit line with 480 grain Airflo skagit switch line side by side you will understand what I am saying here... the Skagit switch are way more thicker than the regular compact skagit line. Thus give you substantial more Ooomph power to deliver the T17.

Mark

#68 ·
BTW, lately, I have found the 12'6 ish length rods are really fun/interesting to fish. You can match it with regular campact skagit (24') or skagit short line (20'). Both lines will fit, but the shorter line (20') has more guts to carry heavy sinktip. If you compare 480 grain Airflo compact skagit line with 480 grain Airflo skagit switch line side by side you will understand what I am saying here... the Skagit switch are way more thicker than the regular compact skagit line. Thus give you substantial more Ooomph power to deliver the T17.

Mark
This statement is SPOT ON! As we all know the trend in spey rods are becoming shorter and shorter. I had a chance to throw an Airflow Skagit Switch line on a 7123 Winston MX. That set up threw 10-12' of T-14 and the biggest lead eye intruder I've ever tied like a damn polly leader. I've never been so impressed with a rod/line combo for throwing tips and a chicken.

#3 ·
The only two spey rods I own and have fished are deer creeks I have the 5/6 (amazing stick) and the 7/8. I like the action but really its all I know. I pick up my roomates 7126 tcx and it gives me some trouble, it feels like a broomstick compared to my DC's. I know what they are capable of and I'm sure I could get used to it hut I'm hesitant about droppin the coin for a rod I'm not 100% on. The MKS is definitely on my radar but the 13' 6" seems a bit long.

#7 ·
I think an "8wt" 12-13 footer that will throw a 540-600 grain compact is what I'm after but I've been considering the 8119 tcx as well.

I mainly fish the skykomish river but I make treks to the coastal waters tor sure and an occasional romp around the skagit and sauk. The water I usually end up fishing isn't really about distance. 20-80' are my mainstays. I just want something that feels great, throws some darts, and can stand up to some serious tips and flies. The deer creek is great but the cork is cheap in your hands. The graphite, the gold trim... As much time as I dedicate to the two hander I would like to wield something of higher quality

#20 ·
The deer creek is great but the cork is cheap in your hands. The graphite, the gold trim... As much time as I dedicate to the two hander I would like to wield something of higher quality
As others have shared, you could get a Meiser with whatever fixins' you like on it. Kinda sounds like you've found an action you dig on so there's no need to change that unless you really want to.

#8 ·

Mark[/QUOTE]

That's why the 8119 really intrigues me I've casted the 7119 with the short and its pretty sick and incredibly light. But like I said the faster tcx kinda throws me for a loop. Just hesitant

#22 ·
If you can find a Loop 8124Y jump on it. I fish this with a 540 Compact Skagit and tips up 200 grains and it is a cannon. At 12'6" with a Salmon 1 this rod easy to fish and cast all day.

I also fish the DC 7/8, with a 510 compact skagit and tips up to 200 grains. At 13' with the Salmon 2 or 1 this rod is also a pleasure to fish all day.

The DC IMHO seems to be a little softer in the butt. Does not make much of a differance when casting but you will notice the differance when fighting a fish.

Both are sweet rods!

#13 ·
I had a T&T 1208 that I loved for the reasons you mentioned. Powerful, light in hand, handled tips well. But wanted something with a slightly more relaxed action. So I opted for the Beulah Platinum 8124- which was recomended by the same fellow who recomended the T&T 1208. The platinum has a stout tip, and from what I've read on the Beulah site and have been told it was made to cast junk....the following is from the site-

Light yet stout, this rod will allow you to cast in tight quarters using heavy tips and weighted flies with the potential to cover miles of water without fatiguing. With extra power in reserve, the 12'4" 8wt Platinum Spey rod casts intruders and T-14 like most rods casts a dry fly....

Also they say the action is slightly regressed traditional spey with a fast recovery- I think the same could be said of the Deer Creek 7/8- meaning it might be worth checking out. I would never recommend buying before trying. Like I did. Again.

I have a blank and will be spinning it up when the components come. I'll let you know. I used to have the Deer Creek too. So I'll have an idea.

#14 ·
Sean
I have a Meiser 13'6" 8/9 MKS which is regressive flex like the DC's and it throws Z-15 with no worries, I use the heavy MOW's and it even throws a floater with about 9' of leader and a size 4 bomber (I know this because I was lucky enough to hook a steel on the klick friday trying out the floating tip), but the point is I picked up the blank from Bob at a very reasonable price around 225 if I remember correctly, and I'm not into it too much. It's a powerful rod with a grain window of 600-850 with tips to 200gr. I tried the 570 I bought from you but it felt a little too light, however I really like the 600 airflo compact skagit. Total cost for the rod once I finished it was around 300-325. If you go this route let me know and I can turn a upper and lower grips for you for the cost of material, I still have some Cocobolo, a piece of Amboyna Burl and some Birch Bark left over just need to pick up some cork rings. take a look at the MKS if you liked the DC series you like the regressive flex MKS, give Bob a call.

#15 ·
Ive got the LOOP 8130 Multi.. I fish with a guy that throws a burkie and his ver batum response was "HOLY SHIT". If you want to throw it, lets get together and fish for some chums or early winter runs out west. I'll trade you for the day.. I love the DC rods as well. Let me know in advance.. i have to work it around my wifes work schedule.

#18 ·
Maybe a CND North Fork would suit you. Understated class in the looks department, and a heaver of tips and half chickens if throwing those lights up your day. Another possibility might be the Buleah 12' 7" 7/8, which I think is more of an 8 than a 7. I've had it over a year, but haven't fished it but twice and haven't decided what line I like on it, but it surely needs more than the 450 Skagit I use on my mainstay CND Solstice.

Sg

#19 ·
If you're interested in a GLX Dredger 8/9 give me a holler. It's built for skagit heads with tips and big flies. Unbelievably light in hand for being 13'9", and very relaxing to fish. I know your after a 12'6", but I've never felt like the length was hindrance, even on my smaller rivers. I'm thinking of moving it because I find myself using skagit heads less and less,......and I got in my head I need a Burkie 7141-4, so something has to go. Best cork of any rod I have.

#23 ·
Agreed, sweet rods for the price. I also like my Decho 9136, that thing will turn over some heavy tips and damn big flies. My 7136 Z-Axis is still my go to twig, even for winter fish. I'll have that Decho out on the coast this winter if you want to toss it Sean.

#26 ·
Sean: Know xactly what you mean by short lines w/mass-bout 3 yrs ago I took a 750 rio skag head n cut it to 18ft-570 grns. Put a 5ft cheater on er and WOW! Been throwing that on a cpx13ft 3in 8wt for 3 yrs now.

Winter rod answer--SCOTT T2H1258/4 and a rio 625skagit short head @ 20ft. Bout the same stroke as a switch rod with oodles of power for big tips n bigger uglies..
Thats a true lifetimer that is a dedicated winter rod, casts big w/out backcast or limited overhead room.

#35 ·
If you don't like chron's Death Star you probably wont like the 8129 Z. I don't think you want the 8119 either because it's pricey and it wont throw big HEAVY flies very far all day comfortably. That said it's a killer coastal stick and you can try mine whenever. I think you would like the Loop Yellow 8124. I got mine for the same reasons you mentioned. Cheap, light, and throws BIG rigs. I still have one of Ringlee's that he is trying to sell and I'm sure he would let you test drive it.

#38 ·
Ha.... you got to love what others love! all good rods!! BTW, TCX is NOT a stiff rod compare to LeCie and T&T... the only requirement is you need to spent time to chat with her...

Another sleeper, CPX 7-12'7 great cork and nice components - a.k.a Poorman's Death Star. T14-17 to Rage 450 dry line...

good luck Sean!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.