New Rod Help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jobo, May 11, 2013.

1. Today I broke my 9', 5 WT rod. It is not covered and now I am in a hurry to replace it. It is unlikely that I will be able to complete a thorough research job and am hoping to tap into the experience and knowledge here. I have searched the threads and did not locate anything that was helpful, since most of these advice requests are for a specific type of rod (beach rod, nymphing rod, etc).

I want to by another rod of the same length and line weight. It will be my primary rod and I don't have a lot of rods. I will be using if for lakes, rivers (primarily nymphing and streamer fishing on rivers) and I fish the beaches for SRC.

I know a lot of guys have multiple rods in the same weight to specialize based upon the type of fishing. I wish i could do that but simply cannot afford it. I am looking for a rod with a price tag no more than $400 and would love to find something solid in the $250 to $300 range.

I am looking for suggestions/advice to at least narrow the field to 2-3 choices.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has the time to respond.

2. Go get the Redington crosswater comes with reel, line, case , leader 4 pc, bonus 119.00

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  3. TFO BVK, super lightweight, powerful enough for the beaches, and its $250, pair it with an airflo 40+ line for distance on the beach and decent mending in a river.
    Good luck finding one you like, and try to cast before you buy.

4. Warrantied or not, Winston can still repair your rod. Before I wrote it off entirely and went shopping, I'd at least contact them and get a price on a new section.

5. Go to a fly shop of your choice. Cast a few rods and BUY what you want. These folks can recommend a rod but it might not be what you want or need.

6. I do understand that and will be doing my own examination/testing of a rod before buying. What I am hoping for is for people to help me narrow the field so I am not looking at 20 rods. I know there are good "economy" rods out there along with garbage under a good label. I am hoping that I can identify those worth trying, hear about some great choice I may not have considered and clear off some of the chaff by listening to the advice of fishermen who have used many of the rods that meet my needs.

7. I second the TFO BVK. Very good rod for an affordable price, and I understand they have great customer service

8. Why go with the cheaper Crosswater when Red's Flyshop seems to still have the Redington CT 5wt. 9' for $149.95?

Although not as fast as some other rods, the CTs are well-respected. You can search this site for CT opinions.

I love my 4 wt. CT but admit I fish a 6 wt. Predator on our Puget Sound beaches.

Check it out here but I'm sure they won't last long:

http://www.redsflyfishing.com/Redington-Classic-Trout-Fly-Rod-Best-Fly-Rod-p/classic-trout.htm

9. Go with a 'rod made in 'Mericuh!

10. I really like my St croix imperial 6 wt as an all purpose rod. Casts a sink tip and streamers well, even in a wind. Is a good nymphing rod and can even throw a decent dry fly. Great rod if your nymphing rivers with trout and steelhead.

11. I've recently been looking at the Orvis Clearwater and Access rods. They both come in 9 or 10' length and the Access also has the option of mid flex or tip flex. Price on the Access is pushing your $ limit at $395 before tax, but the Clearwater is only $198. these are very well made rods and very light. The 10' length would help when beach casting for SRC as well as nymphing and lake fishing.

12. As I was reading this thread, it got me thinking. Of all the rods I have had I bought, I bought them without playing around with them. Right off the rack and out fishing. I have never had any problems casting them. Is it just that I am such terrible caster that I don't notice my problems. Or is it that I'm a good caster and don't have any problems. I've only been playing around with fly rods for about 50 years. Not all the time though, I also fished with spinning rods and reels and also bait casters.

13. I think that most rods today are pretty decent and we learn to cast each rod to it's potential through trial and error. Each rod I pick up has unique characteristics which requires me to adjust my casting. It's hard to really get a good feel for a rod reading about it or doing a "wiggle test" in the store. Even going out back of the local fly shop and test casting a rod is a somewhat artificial experience compared to wading, casting from a drift boat vs float tube or beach casting into the wind. So, Old Man, I think you do well with your rods because you're dedicated to this sport and have put in the hours to be good at it. I hope someday to have even half the experience you do. Hope you keep it up for many more years to come.

14. Borrow one from a buddy and use it until he or she demands it back, do the same to the next buddy until your welcome wears out. Be sure to borrow a different make and model each time. By the time you wear out your welcome with a handful of friends, you should have a much better idea of the rod, action and make you like more than the others. You will still have your cash and you can use the time your have in the meantime to hunt up deals on the rod you want as you zero in on it. Just sayin'

15. The Sage Response is the old Z-Axis blank. It might be worth a look. It's $400.

I've cast the Orvis Access and it does feel like it's quite a rod for the price.

16. Redington link

17. The Link is hard to beat, though I also really like the latest version of the Clearwater rods from Orvis -- great performance tjat can't be beat for just ~$200.

18. +1 for considering the Redington Crosswater. I have an older 8.5ft 3/4wt Crosswater which I got for almost nothing on clearance at Sierra Trading Post a few years back and it's fabulous. The new Crosswater's have much better components than my model. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you would go that route. You could buy two of different lengths and/or weights for what they go for.