New Sage Rod series: The One

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +322 / 5
    FYI -- Sage just formally announced their new rod series. All I know about it so far is what the press release provides, so I'll just share that here:

SAGE PRESS RELEASE:

Sage redefines casting accuracy with the ONE rod

06.23.2011– (Bainbridge Island, WA) – Sage Manufacturing, fly-fishing industry leader, launches the ONE™ rod series. The ONE rod is the first precision casting instrument to take advantage of Sage’s groundbreaking Konnetic™ technology. The ONE offers exceptional tracking with virtually no lateral or torsional movement, resulting in astonishing casting accuracy that is unparalleled in the marketplace.

The inherent strength of Konnetic technology allows ONE rods to have a smaller diameter and are 25% lighter than comparable Sage rods. These attributes combine to provide augmented aerodynamic efficiency. Further innovations are the 70% lighter, low profile ferrules that help direct and carry energy through the rod without sacrificing strength, critical action and feel.

“The ONE rod becomes a true extension of the angler’s arm,” notes Sage Chief Rod Designer, Jerry Siem. “It offers a more fluid transmission of energy from the arm to the fly. The eye sees the cast it wants to make and is translated to the hand through the rod instantaneously.”

The fast-action ONE rod family is intended for all fishing conditions thanks to a list of high-end features. A custom cork handle is fashioned in a snub-nose, half-wells grip on the 3-6 weights and a full-wells handle with fighting butt on the saltwater capable 6-10 weights. Each handle is designed to match the exact taper of the rod providing even greater sensitivity and feel. Other details include the Sage designed round eye tip-top which never pinches or binds the line, allowing the caster to mend and cast in any direction with full control. On the 3-6 weights, the elegant walnut insert is perfectly married with the bronze anodized aluminum reel seat. Saltwater weights feature all anodized reel seat components. The ONE Rod comes in a new Black Ice color, which has a translucent finish and is complemented by black guide wraps and bronze trim wraps. Each rod comes with a powder-coated aluminum rod tube with Sage medallion and a hand-made rod sock.

“The ONE Rod is smooth and precise with an intentionally forgiving ‘sweet spot’ that complements widely diverse casting styles,” says Eric Gewiss, Sage’s Marketing Manager. “This helps the angler make a full range of close-in and long distance casts that hit the mark with equal ease. Being able to feel exactly what the line is doing through all stages of the cast gives anglers ultimate control so they can make the micro-adjustments needed to place the fly precisely where it’s wanted.”

Already award winning, the ONE rod has been recognized as the “Best New Fly Rod” at EFTTEX 2011. Award ceremonies were held last week at the EFTTEX show in Amsterdam.

The ONE rod will be available at Sage authorized retail locations in August / September 2011 with a selection of 22 single hand models. ONE rods range from 3-10-weights and will be priced from $715 to $740.

About Konnetic™ Technology:
    Konnetic technology, the most recent and significant evolution in fly rod innovation, uses new materials combined with pioneering manufacturing methods and processes. This technology incorporates an optimized ratio of Sage’s proprietary resin to exclusive high modulus aerospace-grade carbon fiber.

The latest construction methods include Sage’s Advanced Modulus Positioning System (AMPS); a process that precisely aligns and positions carbon fiber materials to exacting tolerances for the greatest blank strength delivering extremely efficient energy transfer throughout the shaft. Using Sage’s High Compression Molding process, carbon fibers are compacted for optimum density and precise alignment while simultaneously fusing the 50% lighter all-carbon fiber inner core.
  2. CurtisS Member

Amanda Park, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    G-Loomis and Sage are like Coke and pepsi these days.
  3. Casey Hodges Member

clinton,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Does this replace the Z? I just got an e-mail advertising the Z Axis on closeout.
  4. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +485 / 0
    "In the end there can only be ONE"
  5. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +755 / 2
    All the grand technology names and performance claims they make sound like all the rest of the past decade's new rod announcements. They are now meaningless platitudes that fail to capture my attention.

On the other hand, I'll still cast one someday and am open to actually liking it. So I guess the marketing works (or at least isn't so bad that it would deter me from trying yet another new Sage rod).
  6. Mayfly Aviator Member

Idaho Falls, ID
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    iagree

It's all about the hype.
  7. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
  8. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +721 / 0
    I will get ONE...

heh.
  9. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Love to afford 'ONE' ..... I guess I could sell several of my rods to get 'ONE'.
  10. lastcall Member

Bellingham, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    You only need 'ONE'
  11. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +493 / 0
    Don't need nor want 'ONE'
  12. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +129 / 0
    At $700+ my TXL seems like a great deal. Actually it was, I received $200 from my mother-inlaw for Xmas three years ago and Cabela's sold the 2wt TXL premium kit for $299! A hundred bucks into a Sage....doesn't catch any more fish than my other rods. If you can afford it cool, you can make this sport as expensive and technical as you want. (wish I was rich....)
  13. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +322 / 5
    I've got my order in for a demo/review loaner. When I get it, I'll try to get a few WFF out on the Yakima with me to get some feedback. Folks with boats get first dibs.:rofl:
  14. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +242 / 0
    What will replace the ZXL, the TWO?
  15. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +631 / 2
    SO with all the lighter material we should be seeing a 2 ounce 9 ft. 6 wt. ? i really doubt it .
  16. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    iagree
    It's the "handmade rod sock" that's tugging on my heart, er, wallet.
  17. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I've been a skier for most of my life and have concluded that "The One" comes out about every two years and maybe every three for fly rods. Not saying that "The One" of whatever it is isn't better, sometimes significantly better, but more often than not, is just new graphics on the same or a very similar product.
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    I have a boat. Just sayin'. I love every one of my fly rods. There are some with letters like Z, TXL and GLX and others with names. I don't have the ONE. I'm intrigued by the ONE. Eventually I'll try the ONE. For now I'm just thinking about fishing my 4wt Lew C. Parks bamboo and 4wt Lamiglas Honey Glass on the family trip to Yellowstone. This trip could be the ONE.
  19. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I'm on a pretty tight budget these days. Perhaps I can get the new starter outfit...ONE/HALF. :)

Obviously they spent so much on research they couldn't afford a think-tank to come up with a catchy name...

"Hey dude! Is that THE ONE?"
    "No man, it's the other one."
    "You mean that is the other one and THE ONE is over there?"
    "Well, now I'm not sure. I have two of them. Which one were you referring to?"
    "You have two? Fuck! I think that's illegal!"

This whole thing is starting to bring on(e) the gag reflex...
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    I'm with Mumbles. I already own The One. Their initialls are LL, GLX, IMX, RPL, GL3, XP, SP, etc. All purchased used from somebody else who needed to upgrade to The One. In 10 years from now I'll probably add The One to that list.