New Sage Rod series: The One

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Jun 23, 2011.

1. CurtisS

CurtisS Member

that's hilarious. You should copyright that and sell it to them in two years.

2. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

I've never once been fly fishing and thought, "this really sucks, because my rod is too old or too cheap. I would rather be doing something else." Maybe if I could actually be on the water every other day I could justify that kind of gear, but then I wouldn't be able to afford it. Oh well, I'm a cheapskate anyway.

3. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

The ONE offers exceptional tracking with virtually no lateral or torsional movement...
    Geez it's a fly rod!

Besides my rods are a reflection of myself, slower, heavyer, and older.:D

4. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Member

Everyone wants ONE-if they can afford ONE-I be the first ONE to get ONE

Go Sage, now bring on the 13' one 7/8

5. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Geez . It`s really quite simple . Pay attention will ya fellas . Sage already had the 99 , now they have THE ONE . Jerry Siemens is going to be busy - there`s a huge void that needs to be filled .
    Personally , I`ve always like the number 37 . That`s the one - oops - model I`m holding out for . Bring it .

6. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

Hey, you got WD-40 and you got Formula 409. Not everyone can hit it on the first try.

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I'm holding out for the 1 in a 2 handed, 3 piece, 4/5 weight.

TC

8. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Is there ANYTHING this 700$+ rod will do that can't be done with a 200$ rod?
    I'll stick with what I've got until they make the case that this rod is worth the money.

I do OK with Echo, TFO, Albright, and Orvis gear already

9. CurtisS

CurtisS Member

Orvis??? Orvis is the king of over priced gear.

10. Seems like a shot in the foot, proclaiming that the rest of their extensive rod selection is obsolete with the "do-it-all-better-than-the-rest" ONE.

I'll stick with Scott and T&T rods due to lack of bullshit.

11. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

:)

12. troutramp

troutramp Member

Can you find "ONE" at Costco?

13. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

It's kind of like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. Yeah - they both do the same thing and will probably get you to the same place at the same time. However, some people like the fit and finish of a nicer product and don't mind paying for it.

14. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Yep, and yet that is exactly what they do every couple years. Gotta keep moving product to feed the beast. Two years from now, their new marketing will essentially proclaim that "The One" is obsolete because they have a new breakthrough in rod design. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

15. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

How is that any different from any other market..autos, computer hardware\software, digital imaging etc.

If you are the type of person that doesnt mind fishing with "old" gear or driving around in a 3 year old car then it works out for you. I kind of like it, I can add a Zaxis 4wt now to my collection of clearance rack rods.

16. creekx

creekx spent spinner

True. Marketing-wise it is all the same. However, with fly rods there is much less substance to it. The speed of technological development in the digital world is very real. Autos are complex machines and have a limited life-expectancy without additional investment. Rods are very simple, so the challenge for rod manufacturers is getting customers to buy new models that are only incrementally better (if at all) than previous models - and those previous models have a very long shelf-life.

Like you said, as long as there are people buying the latest and greatest, last year's model will be available on closeout...

17. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Member

I stop at the factory to pick up my repaired rod, and fortunate to see the new sage ONE in person, Eric, the production manager was kindly enough to come out and show me the rod.. its was a 8wt 9'.. wow, was an understatement, remind me of my rplxi, glorious deep blue with some metallic, but lot deeper and darker, they should have name this the Death Star.. weighting in at 31/2 ounces, for an 8wt...

Now back to calling them arrogant for calling it the One..
    Imho arrogant is when you name it after yourself, not going to name names..

Every manufacture do the same thing, they come out with something new for us to play with every couple years, that's goes about everything on life, if you don't like it, you going to miss out.. thats technology..

18. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Dumbest thing I've read in awhile.

19. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Member

Just hold your thoughts Brady.. let me get you some popcorn

20. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

I'll name some names for you - Loomis, Burkheimer, Meiser, Winston, Thomas & Thomas, Anderson, or for pete's sake - Leonard!?!?, Payne!?!?, Granger!?!?,....and countless others. Buncha arrogant bastards I guess. I'm a Sage fan too, but that statement was just silly.