New Sage Rod series: The One

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Calico Keta Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    On a recent trip, I was able to stop by a fly shop and cast one.
    Not a life changer (for me) but none the less , it is a beautiful rod and I do like the Black Ice.

I wish I had more time to cast but needing a new rod and the shop willing to give a good price on my used XP I put in a order.
    They said it will ship on the 20th.
  2. 20miler New Member

seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ah, well I meant rods made with non-Chinese blanks. But fish as you wish. And withdrawing from trade shows and shutting down their website doesnt inspire confidence in a lifetime warranty. There are plenty of cheaper setups than the One in the Sage lineup. Have you ever needed the lifetime warranty? You want one that works. Sell off your economy and you won't have one to worry about I guess.
  3. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I am looking forward to casting one and if it is all they claim, I am sure I will get one.
    All I know is several years ago, I bought the NEW technology Orvis T3...stronger and lighter than anything out there. It was for a brief time and a great rod, still is but what a club next to the BIIx...
    New technology every year really is a good thing. I do agree that $700 for Graphite rod is crazy, but it is what it is, and what it takes to get the latest and greatest.
    Light really is nice. I can be content with casting said T3 all day, but the minute I switch to the BIIx, it is a nice change.

If I can hand a top of the line rod to a newbie that has been fishing a budget rod and have that person say, WOW what a difference! That tells me that there IS a difference although I already know this.

Do you need it, NO, but what is wrong with those that can afford and actually appreciate the ONE enjoy that slice of heaven?
  4. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +724 / 0
    Just buy the used ones on the classifieds section for $450 in year.

buying new is generally a really bad investment - same thing goes with cars. There are people who it makes sense for, those who take exceptional care of their equipment and keep it for life. However, for guys like me who "use" it and abuse it - only makes sense to buy used at nearly half the price.

I'm looking forward to owning a ONE in ONE year.
  5. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +642 / 0
    www.sageflyfish.com (New Sage Website, with some great support features I might add)
  6. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +710 / 2
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,354 / 9
    The ONE has made an appearance at Peninsula Outfitters. Sources say that two of the ONEs have already left the building. It does not matter what you fish or how you fish it if you paid for it. Enjoy.
  8. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +342 / 3
    Cast the One yesterday a 4wt 5wt and 8wt.
    We will have them on the shelf tomorrow 4-7 weights.
    I would tell you what I thought of it but you have to cast it to believe it.
    jesse
  9. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I am sure, it isn't for everyONE. I didn't care for the Z-Axe, but I tried it before I decided. Maybe this rod will be the ONE that no ONE wants to get rid of...it could happen ;-)
  10. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    It's marketing.

You make the super high end rod the fast action rod (z-axis) then the next generation is more of a supple, slower rod. (TheONE) People test it out, think... holy shit this is awesome (because it feels different) and are hooked.

Don't underestimate the overwhelming power of novelty to make a sale.
  11. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT

I agree with make a sale, as I was never a big fan of the Z. Therefore, the ONE would be an easy sell to me, but I miss the SLT and the LL. Lighten those two up, make it stronger.....I am hooked so to speak. Better is good, better is progress, better cost, for time technology. Do you see rods coming down in price in the future? Even the Asian made are going up. My TFO was $150. but now $195...????? what changed? Sage doesn't raise the price of an existing rod, that is kind of lame, but they introduce a new line with new features..now they can raise the price for what ever reason, but I like to think economy.
  12. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    Are we seeing a trend toward slower rods? Is the best kept secret leaking out? Pretty soon the manufacturers will be offering bamboo as the latest and greatest thing and everyone will have to rush out and buy one. HA!
  13. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Oooo I got goose bumps on that one! More glass would be nice...LOL
  14. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    A lot of comments on the price. I thought the Z, TCX, TCR, ZXL, XI2 & 3, Winston BIIX, BIIIX, Loomis NRX, Helios, Zero Gravity were all this much when they came out. Am I off?

And Blue, I thought I heard a rumor that Meiser has been working on some glass two-handers for awhile.......may have been a dream,...may not have been.
  15. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    Exactly. It has to be good, but good + novel is even better. Think about the iPad, for example.
  16. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    The Highlander?...mmmmmmmmm sweet.
  17. 20miler New Member

seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Motoring that way right now!!! I hope they have ONE left... :)
  18. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +342 / 3
    Well I guess I have to tell of my experience with the ONE. I was casting the five wt on Monday, we were out in the in the yard behind the shop target casting at brown fallen leaves on the grass. I was hitting them with uncanny accuracy 40-50-60 feet nailing these leaves over and over. It really was incredible!
    There was a ray of sunlight and I looked at the rod and the Black Ice finish on the rod seemed to be glowing I felt like a jedi master with a light sword in my hand it was a mystical experience. The then was a rumbling and a voice from heaven said, "That is the ONE".
    Your own experience may vary........
  19. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    You totally had me. I was like "come on.... give me a f*(#ng break....." when I first started reading. Haha.
  20. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    We have them in 5 weight - 9weight at the shop.

I guess I too, am very angered, shocked, dismayed... that Sage has decided to both launch a new product and to market it.

I would invite any of you to come by the shop and cast one, but that would be dangerously close to marketing. I guess it's too late. I suck, come check them out.