New Sage Rod series: The One

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Anil,
    Any thoughts, opinions or comparisons you might provide between the Sage One and the Loomis NRX?
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If there is anything that Sage did when developing the ONE, it is that they avoiding making the ONE the perfect fly rod. Why? Because if they made it that good, they would have nothing left to do but close up shop and go out of business after selling every one who needs a new fly rod the ONE. If the ONE is all that, there is no where else to go. As business plans go, that is just plain unAmerican. So it's more than a safe bet that in a couple years Sage will offer a new model that is even better than the ONE. And all you suckers who desire the finest plastic rod that money can buy will need to pony up close to a grand for the new best thing.

Me? I already invest in the best thing. Bamboo. It's an heirloom the day I bring it home and never has to be sold off at half price when I decide I want another one.

Sg

3. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    As a dealer for both, it's been great because they are both pretty true to their respective product philosophies. If you like Sage's fast action rods I think you will like this one (pardon me). The look is extremely sleek and pretty without being gaudy at all. Very light and very CRISP with the added bonus of extreme accuracy.
    On the other hand Loomis has always been about making fast action fly rods that were very progressive with tremendous FEEL. The NRX is very powerful and fast, but you can feel the rod loading with very little effort.
    As I mentioned before, for us it's great because they both do what they were designed to do very well, and will appeal to their respective customers.

I probably own more fly fishing gear than almost anyone else on this board. I 'need' none of it. They are toys guys, lighten up.
    You didn't need the XP or the TFO or whatever rod you bought and are now mad because Sage has come out with something better. In fact that's the best part of my job. People come to me because they want to, not because any of them need to.
    Anil

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well said Anil! No matter how much money we choose to spend on our gear, "need" is not even in the equation. Buy what you like. Buy what you can afford. Fish it. Be happy.

5. mgamby

mgamby Active Member

Media:
    Naw....

I think I will keep my Echo 3.

As all of you should, for one simple reason. I own one. and you all should try to emulate me.

6. Scottpuck

Scottpuck Member

Actually yes, I have used the Sage "Lifetime" warranty a couple of times. Only problem is, "lifetime" is defined as the lifetime of the series which typically runs around 5 years. Twice now, replacement sections have cost me over $200 to fix. So, to answer your question directly... I'm not impressed with the Sage "Lifetime" warranty at all.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    This is opposite my recent experience. I had a Sage SP repaired for no cost. That rod has been out of manufacture for years. No questions asked. Sage has been awesome about the warranty in my experience.

8. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    Never had that problem. I had an RPLXI fixed recently. A 2 piece 9 wt. that's probably 10 years old. No questions asked and no charge.

9. CC898

CC898 Member

I agree Sage is pretty good about warranty. but come on......who names a rod the "one"? Where can ya go from that?

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Anil,
    Thanks for the input.
    Brian

11. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I know ONE thing for sure: A fly rod habit is better than a crack or hooker habit, for example. You could do worse things with your money.

12. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

One point one. Haven't you ever bought software?

13. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Really.I've sent LL,RPL,DS,SLT (all discontinued rods) and more back for repair/replacement and NEVER had an issue. It ain't free but $50 dollars for the cost of doing business isn't bad. Sage has the best costumer service of any of the rod companies that I deal with daily.

Oh and about the "one".Great casting high end fly rod. Buy one if you can.(we got 4-8wts).If you can't,borrow your buddy's.
    If you break it your buddy can use his Sage "lifetime" warranty to get it fixed.
    john

14. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    Just cast the 6wt. As a disclaimer, the only high end single handers I've cast are my Winston 4100-4 BIIX, and my 796-3 LTX. I've never cast a z, an xp, zxl, loomis glx, nrx, scott, helios,...you get the idea. My 5 wt. is a VPS. My 8 wt. is a DS.

First off, the diameter of the 6wt. seemed similar to my redington rs3 4 wt. (which I'm not a fan of). But the walls still seemed fairly thick, comparitively. Hard to believe I was holding a 6 wt. So with that said, and my lack of recent high end rod experience, and that I was on grass with a demo wf line and a 6ft. leader with no fly on the end, it did just what it's supposed to do. Great accuracy and distance. 60-80ft casts were no problem. The shop guy shot the entire 95ft. line and about 10 ft. of backing. I never fish that far with a single hander but it was fun to do. Had a little trouble feeling the load through the rod, (main reason I don't like my rs3), but the rod didn't care much and made the best out of bad timing. When the timing was right on the long casts, it was dead nuts accurate.

15. Scottpuck

Scottpuck Member

hmmmm... sounds like I should contact Sage and demand a refund of $400 then. :-\