New Sage Vantage Review

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ozcast, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ozcast

ozcast Active Member

Media:
    The BEST "entry level" rod of all time. $250 with a reel tube. Great action, blows the launch clean out of the water, and seems lighter than the VT2. Sage got it absolutely right this time. And its not ugly as sin, like launch was.

2. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    Anyone else have any input on this rod? I'm curious if I should go cast it with others. I'm in the market for an 8 wt. around $300 and under. Looking at Redington RS4, CPX, Sage Flight and this. I know the actions are all different, however don't want a broomstick that I can't feel load, but at the same time want to be able to launch big streamers and weighted flies. All of this and relatively light so I won't kill my arm from casting all day. 9'6" is my preferred length as well. Suggestions?

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    You should go cast the Vantage along with the others. Heck, why not? Costs you nothin' to try it out. I always liked the Launch (it's ugliness is part of it's charm), so if this one is an improvement, you owe it to yourself to give it a whirl.

4. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    man I wish my entry level rod was a Sage Vantage...

5. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    You're right Itchy. Thanks. I guess I was just looking for someone to pipe in and say,"it's lighter, stiffer, softer, faster, etc." than the Launch, which I have cast and thought it was a bit on the soft/slow side for my liking. I mainly fish a VT2 in a 6 wt. in the salt and love the action on it. I like that I can really feel it load, but retain the back bone to push it and launch line. I guess I'm hoping to find something similar in an 8 wt. without spending that extra dough on another VT2... It will inevitably come down to a personal casting dual.

6. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

7. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page: