New Shotgun Advice: Remington SPR 310 vs Mossberg Silver Reserve

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Troutrageous, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Troutrageous Active Member

Yakima
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I'm relatively new to hunting, and looking to get a 20 Gauge, any suggestions would be great, my price range is around 500, and I like the idea of a side by side or over under.

Anyway, the two guns in my price range that I've come across and I like the looks of are the Remington SPR 310 O/U 20 gauge, and the Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U 20 gauge. Like I said, I'm new to this, so even after trying to research online I may be way off track. If anyone more experienced has opinions or suggestions regarding these guns, or another they think would be worth looking at it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  2. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    Look at them both hands on before you make a decision. The quality in the sub-$1000 O/U's fluctuates a lot even within the same line. I've looked at both and personally preferred the fit, finish, and feel of the Turkish-made Mossberg over the Russian-made Remington. Also, keep in mind that both of those guns use somewhat unconventional choke tubes.
  3. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Save a little more cash and look for a used browning citori or baretta. You will be happier you did in the long run. The single trigger assembly on lower price guns can be trouble. Shot Gun World is a good web site for info on any of these. Most important thing is how the gun fits though. Good luck.
  4. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    I also recommend you wait and save your money until you can purchase a used double shotgun of known quality such as Browning or Beretta. You will be glad you did.
  5. J.Butch New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    You might want to look into Stoeger over/unders. They are in your price range. A friend and I both picked one both picked ours up for well under $500. I've been quite happy with mine and I know he has also. They're not Brownings but they shoot nice, look nice and don't break the bank...

Just my $0.02.
  6. J.Butch New Member

Bellingham, WA
  7. J.Butch New Member

Bellingham, WA
  8. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +706 / 0
    I have 3 Red Labels that have served me well . . . the 12 can get a bit heavy toward the end of the day, but the 20 & 28 are just sweet. I second the "save more, buy up" advice.
  9. Troutrageous Active Member

Yakima
    Alright, I really appreciate the feedback, and I also had the chance to discuss it with a family friend who does a lot of hunting. He agreed with many of you that I should look for a bit higher quality, and I think at this point I'm gonna save a bit more and keep an eye out specifically for a Red Label, and maybe a Beretta or Browning.

That said, does anyone have a suggestion for places to keep an eye on? I've really only used gunsamerica at this point, any other good resources/auctions I should know of?
  10. fifafu Guest

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I aqquired a used Beretta 686 Onyx 20 gauge this summer. I love it because it is light and the english stock makes it easy to carry. Don't really know what it would cost since I traded a new set of Ping G10's and $250 for it. Couldn't buy a 20 gauge in english stock that also chambered 3 inch mags with Browning and falling into the Beretta was a lucky day for me.

Totally agree to save your money but watch for a Ruger Red Label as you do. You might find a really nice gun for $600-$700 and the used Red Label is superior to any new gun in that price range in my opinon. You should also absolutley not overlook a used Miroku. These japanese over/unders are another gun I would be looking for since they are the same as high quality Browning Citoris. My uncle found a beautiful Miroko 20 gauge o/u for $400 at an estate sale and it is a wonderful gun.

gunbroker.com is loaded(pun).

Good luck,
    Mike
  11. fifafu Guest

12. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    I would try a gun and see what fits and feels right. You never know how tight a used double is going to be over GB. Also the Miroku doesn't list the chokes the ruger is a skeet gun.
  13. fifafu Guest

The Miroku is "improved" both barrells. 28"

Sounds like a great quail gun. In a perfect world I would want to put the gun on my shoulder but in a budget minded search I would not hesitate trusting the names Browning/Miroku for lifetime type quality.

It is kind of like buying a rod for $200 bucks. I'll take a used Sage over a new Cabelas rod(not bagging on Cabelas just choice).
  14. fifafu Guest

If you are looking for a sweet 20 gauge hunting gun look at this BPS.

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148527165

Why Browning Pump Shotgun? Top tine safety and bottom eject are my favorite reasons.
    It also has a choke tube which makes it versitle. Browning invector tubes are easy to find and reasonably cheap.

I carry an over/under but have my BPS in the truck as a backup. I carry it on windy days since it's a 12 gauge and I want the 3rd shot.

If it chambers 3 inch mags it would be perfect all aroud 20 gauge. IMO.
  15. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    I wanted to add Ruger to my list of desireable, lower cost, good quality guns. I've owned both 20 ga and 12 ga Rugers and never had any problems. I actually shot them better than the sxs I now shoot. Never settle for success I always say...
  16. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Regardless of what you buy get the gun fitted to YOU!!! A very expensive gun that doesn't fit won't point and swing correctly. Many people learn to accomodate their shooting to the gun in hand but they will never develope a natural swing which is critical for consistent results.

wet line Dave
  17. fifafu Guest

Buy the gun you like and learn to shoot it.

I would buy that BPS if I needed 20 gauge. Emailed the seller and it does chamber 3 inch mags. It is perfect all around 20 hunting gun and since it is the old wood it is a steal at $315. I just bought a older 870 wingmaster 20 otherwise I would be buying it.

My two cents.
  18. Troutrageous Active Member

Yakima
    Sweet stuff, thanks again guys. Fifafu, those guns all looked great, I'll pass on the BPS in as I really am interested in an o/u, and I already have 12 ga pump (same as your 20, an 870)

Actually came across a Red Label in a local shop for just under 700 yesterday, but the barrels were fixed, and I really want one with screw-in chokes.
  19. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Before buying any Red Label handle it. Some are great guns and some are sloppy loose. I know many that love them and many that say you need three, one to shoot, one on the way to Ruger for repair, and one on the way back. Have a very mixed reputation. My hunting partner has a 12 and a 20, both nice and tight. I was looking at the 28's last year and every one I handled had very loose actions out of the box with the fore end loose on the barrel. My partner's 20 had a loose fore end until he sent it back for a butt stock replacement. (fell on it in the snow and broke it) Again, buy what fits you and what your budget can handle. Try before you buy if possible. Also consider that different stock configurations are available in many of the manufacturers lines and they all fit differently. Skeet stock vs. trap stock vs.field stock.