WFF New Sub-forum: Fly Fishing Entomology

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Scoones, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +293 / 0
    All things entomology will be handled in the new entomology forum now, hosted / moderated by the only one qualified to pull it off. Taxon! Thanks Roger, it's much appreciated.

Fly Fishing Entomology

If things look a bit different there, the WFF ads / logo missing, the FlyfishingEntomology.com site links on the right, that site's feel in the header, well, it's by design. Taxon has a fine bit of work there and that should be supported.

Moving over old topics on the subject is a work in progress which I'll finish up over the next few days.

Regards,

Chris Scoones
    WashingtonFlyFishing.com
  2. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +827 / 1
    Great idea Chris. Go get 'em Roger!

Leland.
  3. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +169 / 0
    This is great. Now when someone asks a "stumper" entomology question, it won't have to languish in the depths of the main forum before Taxon is finally able to answer it definitively.
  4. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +259 / 0
    Another great example of our far reaching resources. Roger, thanks in advance..

Tim
  5. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    New game for WFF. Stump the bug man.
  6. ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Port Gamble WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Love this idea.. questions forthcoming. Thanks Chris!
  7. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Hi Chris, Leland, Matt, Tim, Jeff, and ganglyangler-

Thanks for the kind words. Hope to see you on the Fly Fishing Entomology Sub-forum.

Best regards,
  8. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +595 / 0
    Yet another forum venue to further aggravate my feelings of flyfishing inadequacy!
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    Great idea. I have more questions than money. Come to think on it, I don't have any money. Are these answers for free?
    See, my first question?
  10. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Hi Krusty-

Definitely not anyone's intent. :)
  11. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Hi Olive bugger-

Yes, these answers are for free. Yes, I do see your first question. And, I have more answers than money, but who's counting. ;)
  12. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +595 / 0
    No worry, after 50 years of flyfishing I've honed such feelings to a high art!

The extent of my aquatic entomological knowledge (and its application to fishing) has generally consisted of tying a few buggy looking patterns, and keeping them in (or on) the water as much as possible. Sometimes it even works!
  13. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +860 / 0
    so...entomology would be.... the study of entoms, right...:D Ain't them those little thingies that buzz around each other?
  14. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Hi Alex-

Yup, that be them. ;)
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,618 / 0
    Shit, there's too much male bonding going on here. Hi, all you old men.

I looked at that hatch chart you provided and noticed that those bugs hatch about the same time here i n Montana.

What gets me is when people come to Montana to fish they ask what flies you need to fish here. I just used what I used in Washington, they all work here.
  16. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +238 / 1
    Funny stuff there. Those Entoms make me itch like chiggers.

Chris - Thanks for making it happen
    Roger - Thanks for hosting. I imagine you were behind this idea

TC
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Entoms? Whew, good to know that. Thanks! I thought those were bits of macula floating around inside me eyes, or that I was staring at that "wind map" for too long. Dang! What are all those little black things crawling on my kitchen floor?
  18. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Long overdue!

19. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Nice to hear from you, OMJ. Based in the average number of degree days difference between the two locations, the respective hatches average about (18) days later in W. MT than in W. WA. And, as you say, the same flies should work just as well for you in MT as they did in WA.
  20. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,618 / 0
    Need to ask a question on what flies represent. Like what does a Royal Wulff represent to a fish. There's a small lake in the hills out of Dillon(it takes a 4X4 to get there).. The Cutts in that lake go nuts for this fly. I've tried other flies but the Royal Wulff out does them all.