New Switch for Birthday

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fishn'fool, Dec 28, 2012.

1. fishn'fool New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I recently received a new Beulah 10'8" 7wt switch rod for my birthday (very generous uncle). I am new to the two handed style of fishing but have wanted to get into it for some time and am excited to get out and learn this new style of pursuing wiley trout and steelies. I have been scanning though the forum immersing myself in the knowledgeable contributions of the members here and have found some great insight into this style of fishing. I typically fish for steelhead on the O.P., the Methow and Ronde(although I haven’t been able to make the trip in a few years) as well as for trout all over the West Coast. I was hoping to draw of the extensive knowledge of the members for advice on reels, lines, and any other insight I might obtain.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you may be able to provide an avid fly fisher excited about his new rod!
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,236 / 9
  3. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +45 / 1
    My first bonefish was on a Beulah swtich (Thanks Deano!).
    Very nice rods and I'm sure you'll end up loving it.
    For casting, my biggest suggestion is getting lessons or having a friend or shop buddy show you the ropes. I watched countless youtube vids, read articles, and watched dvd's, but honestly, it wasn't until a few friends showed me on the water that I got any better.
  4. Brian Styskal New Member

Awsome birthday present, great rod! My advice would be to take the new rod down to Aaron's day on the river in fall city. Every Saturady you can try rod, lines, reels.....for FREE! He will have lines that will work on your rod and you also can get a bit of instruction as well. It's a pretty unique opportunity for a person just getting into the Spey world.

Avid angler fly shop will be doing there day on the river spey class on the skykomish Sunday January 6th. Same deal it's free to the public but a call to the shop to let them know you will be attending is encouraged. This gives us an idea how many instructors we might need for the day.

Being able to try different combos in person is key!
  5. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Excellent advice. That is one sweet stick. Congrats!
  6. fishn'fool New Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys, I apprecaited the feedback, looks like its time to get on the water and do some testing!