New Switch Rod, Now What Do I Need - Help?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by USMC VET, Feb 27, 2013.

1. USMC VET Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Greetings to all

I have purchased a Redington Prospector Switch Rod in 8wt.
    I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to buy next, since I am a disabled vet on a limited income with a family I have to purchase one thing at a time so I need some good advice on what to buy so I don't buy things that I shouldn't if I can avoid it . Reel-line-heads?

I will be fishing for steelhead/salmon fresh water medium flow and medium size rivers.

I do appreciate your assistance
  2. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    i recomend a skagit compact or scandi compact if you plan on wetflies and big streamers most of the time. It is also helpful to have a dedicated switch/ Nymphing line.

Remember skagit is powered diesel truck to huck the ugly its going to land and splash hard and scandi's are primarily used for more of a finsesse landing/gentler presentation.

For example i have st croix imperial switch 7wt that i run 510gr skagit compact with airflo running line on a 10/12 cabelas reel for the big uglies. I also have an 8/9 Redington reel that i run the Rio Switch line 7/8 on for nymphing and skating flies.

The nice thing about running lines for example is i have my traditional spey rod echo tr 8136 that i use the same running line/cabelas reel with a 620 skagit compact. I can change the heads with multiple sink tips with any i rod i chose.
  3. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    Find someone in your area that has a variety of heads. They should also be able to offer instruction on anchor points, D-loops and casting stroke.

My advice is that you try different heads before you buy one. This will ensure you get the right grain weight line for the rod and your casting style.

I personally like an independent running line, say a Airflo Ridge 30lb. This will allow you to change the heads for different types of fishing, i.e. - summer run vs. winter steelhead, Scandi and Skagit heads respectively.
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  4. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
  5. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +80 / 6
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  6. USMC VET Member

7. USMC VET Member

I want to thank you all for your helpful advice... the links were especially helpful and I think I now have a good idea what I need. there was suggestions that I try to find someone who uses a switch rod for some hands on advice,,,, here In SW Washington, the only water close enough to me where I have seen spey and switch rods used in on the Cowlitz River but have no idea who those folks were as I only fish there a few times during the summer months. Everyone , thanks again you were most helpful

Ron
  8. USMC VET Member

I FORGOT TO ASK!! I am wanting to use my switch rod for both steelhead and cutthroat.. I see there are versileader kits available in 10 and 15 foot lengths
    should I buy the ENTIRE 6 LEADER KIT or would it be better to buy them individually? If any of you have fished the Cowlitz river in Washington that is where I will be fishing with my switch rod.. the rivers near my home are very narrow across and probably not good for switch rod use??? however there is a good amount of steelhead and salmon caught by bobber fishing and drifting along the bottom with spin cast rods

Also, is there a Switch Rod setup for steelhead for low and slow water use where there is no need to cast long distance? 50-100 foot maximum
  9. Evan Virnoche Guest

You can fish a spey rod on any body of water. if i am fishing a smaller stream i run my switch line/dedicated nymph line as i can still spey cast and i do not need to use as much line. 25-35 foot range. If i am going 50 plus i run my skagit compact. which i believe is 21 feet (dont quote me on that) and anywhere from a 3 foot sink tip to 12 foot sink tip depnding on my river depth.

I find it easiest to go to your local fly ship and get the airflo custom tips
    i recomend t-10 starting out with the switch as t14 can be a bit of pain in the ass for a beginner.

Order 25 feet worth of t-10 and you will have enough for a 12ft, 6ft, and 3-4ft tip all for the price of 29.00 as opposed to buying 3 in the packake tips for the price of 19.95 each.

http://shop.pacificflyfishers.com/lines/sinking-tips/airflo-custom-tips/

Here is a link how to tie the tips with basic fly tying knots.

Please forgive all my pacific fly fishers information
  10. hookedonthefly Active Member

So, there's a couple of options on lines for your rod. By the way, congratulations on entering the two-handed world...it's a blast.

The links provided are great for rod/line recommendations; however, the problem with a grain "window" is it's just that. Every caster is different and I've seen as much as an 80 grain difference between casters on the same rod. You can spend a lot of money buying the wrong lines. The upside is that you'll have a number of different lines for future rod purchases.

You have Skagit Compact and Skagit Switch lines. There are recommendations for both of those lines for the rod you have. The switch lines have a shorter head which can be frustrating for the new two-handed caster as you frequently seen blown anchors secondary to that shorter head. That being said, the Switch lines typically perform better on Switch rods once you have some experience and/or a lesson.

In my humble opinion, you don't need that 6 tip kit and it's expensive. Spend the money you save on a lesson.

I would start out with a running line, the appropriate head and two tips with an estimated cost of $40 30lb. running line, $55 head, $38 two tips. I would think Anil or Steve will have different heads you could try.

The two tips could be something like an Airflo Sink 3 7/8 and 10' of T14. These would be an appropriate starting point for the Cowlitz and swinging flies. These two tips will allow you to fish in different depths in the water column, i.e. - relatively shallow water with the Sink 3 and those deeper runs with the T-14, due to the varying sink rates of those tips.

In the long run, you will save your self a good bit of frustration and a good chunk of change getting with someone who can help you get started. There are group lessons that would be less expensive than one-on-one. The two great options relatively close to you are:

Site sponsor - Anil
    Puget Sound Fly Company in Tacoma
    http://www.pugetsoundflyco.com/

and
    Steve Buckner
    http://www.northwestflyfisherman.com/

Good luck. Let us know if you have more questions.
    Cheers,
    Ed
  11. Evan Virnoche Guest

lots of free advertising up in here for our local fly shops:)
  12. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +756 / 0
    Please PM me your address, I have a reel you can have. It's an Allen reel, I got it when I bought a spey rod here on the classifieds, came with the reel but I really don't need it. The line on it is a RIO Windcutter Versi-tip, an older one, it's a really long belly, but you can take the middle part out too. Not certain how that would work, I THINK it's a 6/7/8 line, I only used it once on a trip for Atlantic salmon. Have the tips too, you may need someone that knows what they're doing (I don't I'm afraid!) to help you with the line, maybe do some modifications if needed.

But anyway, let me know where to send it to and it's yours. As far as I'm concerned, we cannot do enough for our veterans, and I'm not using it so better to see it put to good use. I'm leaving tomorrow until Sun so won't be able to get it into the mail until Mon if that works for you.

Dan

Here's a pic of the reel. Looks barely used, I've never fished it, put the line on just to have something on it.

[IMG]
  13. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    I have a mancrush on (formerguide) he rocks
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  14. hookedonthefly Active Member

True that. Awesome!
  15. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    PM sent sir, didn't know if you were aware of the message system on the board, being new. Looking forward to your reply, hope you can put the reel to good use!

Dan
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  16. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    Dan, You've taken the board by storm. Thanks for joining us here, I'm thrilled to have another amazing person in this community. Truly a classy dude.
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  17. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +80 / 6
    Great offer FG!!!
  18. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    PM replied Ron, you should see by Tue or Wed. All the tips are there too, good luck and thank you again for all you've given for all of us.

Dan
    bwerner93 likes this.
  19. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ron,

Glad you got the reel and are pleased with it. Again, thank you for your service, a big thanks to all the men and women on this board who served.

I may be down your way later this month for a job, will certainly drop you a line if time can be arranged to get out on the water. Take care.

Dan
  20. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Ron,
    If you don't want the windcuttrer, I'll trade you the body portion (you can keep the tips) for a 480gr airflow skagit compact I never use--that should be just about right on that rod. I'm in OLY and could let you try it our if you want. I think I might have a 7/8 switch line laying around too if you wanted to try that. Let me know if you're interested.