New Switch Rod, Now What Do I Need - Help?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by USMC VET, Feb 27, 2013.

1. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Derek

Give me a call when you have a chance and we can discuss this more, I am not sure what I have , you have etc as I am new to all of this.. I just know there are a awful lot of nice folks on this list..
    I will be in Centralia at the Veterans Clinic all day tomorrow , feel free to try me during the day on my cell phone 360 942 7957 If I can't be reached (sometimes signal is bad) then you can contact me Thursday evening at home or on Friday during the day.. call anytime.. home phone 360 934 6400 Ron

2. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Ron,

Since you are entering the evil world of spey :), check out the Sandy River Spey Clave put on by The Fly Fishing Shop (www.flyfishusa.com). It is 3 free great days of instruction and clinics. They even feed you.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hey Jarhead, I'm getting to this party of yours late...assess what you've got. Tell me what you need. I'll get 'er done. Thanks for your service. Shoot me a conversation and I'll see what I can come up with. As any good HM will say... Your money is no good here. Send me that assessment message!

4. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Greetings,
    This is where I am in setting up a switch rod, I ordered advertised "new condition" Redington switch rod 8 wt. from a lady in Florida, it has not arrived yet. She is a member on the FF pages and had it for sale.

I was given a 9-10 used Allen Reel that I believe will work great for that rod.

So that is where I am at this point, I assume I will need to purchase some line and a Skagit or Scandi Compact 430 grain which is recommended by Redington. I will buy this stuff one thing at a time as I learn what will make for the best and correct setup., doing it correctly the first time is my goal. I turned 57 this week, I was a fly fisher for several years with a one handed rod but as my disease progressed I found it physically and painfully fatiguing to do the false cast after each pass so I had to quit fishing. that was a few years ago and I have not been fishing since which is a shame since I can be fishing in about 5 minutes from my home , not likely I would catch any of the Salmon and Steelhead that are there but just being out of doors does a body good..

Some years ago I had a chance to cast a spey rod and found holding the rod with two hands was far easier and required less false casting etc. So with the popularity of switch rods here in WA. I decided that was probably the best option to help me get back out and fishing. I have no idea how to cast a switch rod but have some videos, there are lots of youtube videos on switch and speech casting and learning hoe to do it gives me a challenge and something to do. I think the most difficult thing right now is understanding what I need to purchase (correct stuff to set up rod right the first time) as far as line and heads and then how to hook it all up setting up a single hand rod, (backing - fly line-tippet) is pretty straight forward, this running line and shooting head stuff is what is confusing for a old jarhead like me. Maybe it is all the medication they have me on, things are not looking so good at present, had a seizure during a neurology test this week, that is a new thing.. I guess my service connected disabilities/diseases are catching up with me but being a Marine Veteran helps me fight the battle.. Let me close by saying how great the WA. folks on this forum are

take care and thank you for the message, Ron

United States Marine Corps, Ret/DAV Semper Fi

5. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Derek is one of the finest folks out there. Derek...if you meet up with Ron, let me know what's missing and I'll see if we can help him out also.

Ron, thank you again for your service!

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Ron, I'm pretty sure I have a 450 skagit switch line at home. I'm out of town this weekend, when I get home and find the line, it's yours. Simple. Lots of great folks here, many helped me...glad to take a turn helping someone new.

underachiever likes this.
  7. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Thank you for thanking me!!

Derek contacted me and if everything works out for both of us we are going to meet me at the Cowlitz Hatchery Sunday Afternoon .. I think he is even going to give me some casting advice/help on a switch rod. looking forward to meeting him and also getting out near the river..

All of you, thank you very much and take care,

8. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Derek

Thanks again for the great instruction it was just what I wanted to lean and I was confident enough that I went back down to the river, put on a fly and cast/fish the rod for about another 30 minutes..
    I did not get any better but just casting was fun... did not get any hits .. darn it

If you can recall, what is the name of that 30lb line you gave me there in the parking lot and do you know a website you can point me to that sells it,, (that was the line you cut off and shared with me 100')

Here is my personal email address, chaplanblack@centurytel.net
    feel free to email me or call anytime you want to head to the Cowlitz

thanks again... many times over

Ron

Cell 360-942-7957
    Home 360-934-6400 try this number first
    PS I was going to send this as a PM but not sure how , typed out z message but could not find the post or send button..

9. Albertpatterson

Albertpatterson New Member

Hello sorry to disturb you but how much your Redington Prospector Switch Rod in 8wt costs you? I am thinking to purchase one so please help me out

10. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Glad to hear you got out with Derek!
    Cheers,
    Ed

11. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Hello Ed

I had a great time and visit with him, a really nice young man.. gee's did I say that, I am!! getting old at 57, I remember my grandpa saying that to me.. anyway, he said that some of the Healing Waters members fish at the Cowlitz during the summer so maybe I can get with them for some more spey/switch casting help. take care, Ron

12. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Albert, check out Ebay... the Redington CDX rods are on sale but if you look at the prospector model, they have also lowered prices at least for the time being and for not to much more money you can buy it. Ron