New Tides program is close

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chris Scoones, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The new tides area should be finished up within a week or so. It's coming along but some of the admin functions and the day specific / detailed graph options are yet to be completed. I've included a couple screen shots of the calendar views, each of which allows for the entire month to be printed on one page for it's chosen station. As shown, if you hover your mouse over a day on the calendar graph, it displays some further detail on that day. Click on it and it'll display that days specific graph.

2. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Excellent work my man; your efforts are most definitely appreciated.

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Very nice Chris. A welcome addition.

Leland.

4. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Chris, another reason to get excited about salmon season in the salt. Thank you for your continued efforts to improve an already awesome site. Steve

5. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Thats an awesome idea, it will create alot of new topics.

6. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Chris:

Thanks for all your time and effort to get the tide program up and running. Am anxious to incorporate the daily tide graph into my fishing journal notes.

Roger

7. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Chris,

Is this software you are incorporating into the site or a program you wrote? Not that I know spit about computers other than right click/left click. Either way, a very cool addition especially since there isn't much of the rivers to fish.

8. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Matt, it's both. xTide is the program, but I've found it's standard interface to be lacking in usability. The result that I'll have is a custom interface that allows for specific formats and options to be presented such as the calendar views of both graphs and data, tide height difference columns on the text view to assist with guestimating the flow strength rather than be limited to interpretation of the steepness of curve, and there are a few other features outside of the obvious visual layout.

Once the work is complete, there will be some additional time needed to add the available stations. Unfortunately the standard harmonics data file lacks a full compliment of tidal stations applicable to those fishing off the beaches, but I'm searching out ways to fill specific / popular beach area gaps.

I think the tides area can be completed within a week or so, but the day specific graph is still in progress. Any unforeseen challenges could push it out a bit. Once it is up and running, additional feature requests will be taken.

9. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Chris,

Whoa, you lost me after "Matt, it's both". Thanks for all you do Chis. I hope you find time to to wet a line. I'll see ya out there on the water...maybe. Thanks again on behalf of several thousand people who come here and have no clue what you put into this site.

Matt

10. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    iagree