New to chasing bass

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Brooks Werner, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Brooks Werner Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I've done a lot of fly fishing but never really targeted Bass. Did a couple days of popper fishing for them on Banks Lake many years ago, and did well but didn't really know what I was doing. I live on the west side and am hoping to target them over here.

I'm hoping some of you experienced Bass Guys wouldn't mind sharing some tips as far as favorable weather, water temps, where to find fish at certain times, etc.

I fished Ohop lake today and did manage one 10" smallie right away on a bugger but not even a tap after that. I was fishing as close to lillies, downed trees, etc as I could when there wasn't too much subsurface foliage. Tried buggers, nymphs, poppers, and even a hopper. No love. The lake visibility was poor, and unfortunately neither of us had a thermometer so I don't know what the lake temp was.

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,169 / 1
    We are heading into prime topwater time.
    Your best success will be early and late. When your topwater hits the surface, don't move it. Wait at least until the rings caused by your pattern hitting the water dissipate. I sometimes wait up to a couple of minutes before I first move my pattern.
    If you find yourself fishing during bright sunlight, concentrate on the shade side of structure like downed trees, docks, etc and use the same technique I mentioned above.
    I'm sure others will chime in as well with their favorite go to tactics.
    Good luck,
    SF
  3. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    The thing I always look for when bass fishing is anything different in the terrain. A big rock in the middle of small rocks under the water, a piece of wood, a weed bed, a point jutting out from a straight shoreline. Even stuff like shadows. They tend to use anything like that as cover.

Maybe try something that rides hook point up, let it sit on the bottom and drag it really slowly back to you. (crawdad pattern would be good) Just try to keep tension on the line, you may not feel them pick it up.
    Bugtyer likes this.
  4. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +492 / 0
    zoo cougar or poppers that float on a full sink tip line is murder.

also poppers with a big red crawdad imitation underneath. Set, strip, rest, jerk, pause and then comes the wack.

I find bass to almost always hit on the drop after a twitch
  5. B.Willis New Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    This might sound silly and blasphemous to some but there's a lot to learn from the tourney bass anglers about bass fishing techniques, habitat, strike triggers, etc. They've pretty much made a science out of bass fishing and are constantly getting better. I'm not suggesting you tie a spinner bait to the end of your line, but keep in mind that loud, obnoxious objects in the water are just as likely if not more likely to get a strike as typical bass food.
  6. Brooks Werner Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the pointers, excited to get back out and learn more about 'em. Definitely a different skill set. Don't tell anyone I'll be watching bass fishing on tv!
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,124 / 0
    I watch the bass shows on TV all the time. It makes no difference that they are using spin gear. They provide information that we can use with fly presentations. The better bass shows explain what they are using, where and why. The shows helped make me a better bass flyfisher.
  8. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +142 / 0

yep, that. It also pays to talk to the gear guys who are actually out there where you are. I do this both when bass fishing and when steelheading as certain techniques are applicable across the board. This shouldn't come as much of a shocker, but the more knowledge you're armed with, the better fisherman (or woman) you'll be.
  9. jersey livin' the dream

sonoma county
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    These ambush predators can hide well, so look for changes in banks or weed beds. Any place or pocket they can back in a look out for breakfast. Especially floating plant life even in the middle of a body of water...they hide under it.

Vary retrieve speeds too. Sometimes fast, like a gear guy's top water frog. No love, take Stonefish's advice and recast and leave it alone.

One favorite is a foam taps bug over deeper water, cause the bass typically come clear out of water in attack mode. Pure fun!
  10. Alaskan New Member

Nine mile falls Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Early and late topwater around structure. As soon as the bite slows switch to a sink tip and BIG zoo cougar or similar pattern smashed tight against the bank and stripped fast back to the boat will get a bunch more. As the day wears on the bass will move to structure in deeper water. At that point I go get caught up on chores around the house or switch to conventional tackle. image.jpg
    B.Willis likes this.
  11. Clay Carney Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Bass will eat anything. Bass will eat something just because it is there, even if they don't know what it is. You can make a bass hit your fly. Whatever you tie on, streamer, popper, leech, crawdad, etc... sometimes the fish want it slow and sometimes they want it fast. Structure is good. Fish the edge of timber, lily pads, grass, reeds, points, drop offs. When you catch one, pay attention to what type of water it was in and your presentation and you will usually notice a pattern.
  12. Santo Roman Wine Slut

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Brooks,

I'm in Bothell and tend to hit the bass more that trout. Depending where you are in Seattle,there are tons of urban areas that are bass crazy. Greenlake in the late evening is pretty cool. I like hitting cottage lake near woodinville in the late afternoon until sunset. You can also try the slough until aug 31...it can be hit and miss but once you find them...it will be a good day. You can also hit the lilly pads around the US area. Prime stuff in there.
    flycasterwa likes this.
  13. wildbrook I catch Sunfish!

JBLM
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Alaskan, sometimes my eyes glow red like that when fishing for bass too. lol

As for largemouth I usually bounce something along the edges of cover to kick up some dust, but in cloudy water dark (black probably) marabou covered monsters would work nice.
  14. Brooks Werner Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks for all the responses. I've picked up my game a little but still a lot of experimenting at new lakes. Now those pesky salmon are starting to show up...