New to fishing the Salt - Seeing some corrosion on reel seat

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Fordham, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Fordham Pearsalls

Provo, Utah
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Recently I used my Sage XP 590 fishing Sea Run CT and didn't think to rinse the rod after. I noticed the reel seat dulled up quite a bit - possible corrosion. After doing a quick search I didn't find anything posted on whether there is a product that can bring back the bling. Also, I know the XP isn't marketed for salt use, is there anything I can treat it with that may give it some corrosion protection.
  2. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +375 / 0
    This product has been around for a long time and many saltwater anglers use it: http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

I simply rinse my rods/reels with warm tap water after each salt use, being careful to separate all the rod and reel connections, and wipe them down with care. Works for me.
  3. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    I've fished my Sage XP in saltwater for almost 10 years and have not noticed corrosion in the reel seat. The guides can show some signs of rust spots under the epoxy if you do not dry off the rod prior to storing. Never put it into the rod tube with saltwater on it. All you need to use is a damp microfiber cloth to keep your XP happy.
  4. Fordham Pearsalls

Provo, Utah
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Guilty of putting the rod in tube with the salt on. Now I know better. I'm glad to hear the XP can handle the salty fishing for so long with a good rub down.
  5. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    General rule of thumb is to rinse everything in warm water and then allow it to air dry after every use. Be sure to wind the reel locks back and forth, work the drag on the reel, and take the spool off as you rinse. I also put the flies in a glass of warm water for about 20 minutes to dilute the salt, then dry them with a paper towel and allow to air dry after. I carry a small prescription bottle to put the "used flies" in before they are cleaned so as to not mix them with others. That's the quickest way to contaminate a fly box and corrode all of your flies. I also rinse my waders and stripping basket and allow them to air dry after every use.
  6. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    Not a proponent for wood reel seats on salt water, but many do it and do fine by it. Gear specific for saltwater usually have heavier duty components and more protection against corrosion.
    When done fishing in the salt from beach use I usually rinse off in the near by creek (if there is one, and in many spots there are). I give it a good rinsing, open the reel, if not a lamson, then I put my gear in the backseat to let it dry on the drive home, never back in the tube or carrier wet. Separate the reel from the seat also. ;) Back home I check again all my gear and will sometimes give it the hose rinse and let air dry again.
  7. Scudley Do Right Member

Ratings: +22 / 0
    I use Ardent Reel Guard, rinse with the hose when I get home and wipe down with an Armor All wipe
    nailbender likes this.