New to fly fishing and WA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Lonny, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Lonny

Lonny New Member

I am going to be traveling to the Auburn area in a few weeks and will be there through the beginning of August. I am traveling to the area for work and have decided that now is the time to take up fly fishing. First things first I am planning on taking an introductory lesson in fly fishing after I arrive just to get familiarized with the sport and such. Any recommendations on who to contact for this. Truly any and all recommendations are welcome. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Lonny

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  2. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Member

I took an intro to fly fishing class at Creekside Angling in Issaquah a few years ago and that's how I got started. Issaquah is a little northeast of Auburn and it's easy to get to via Hwy 18 and the Issaquah-Hobart Road.

3. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Well you are one step a head of the game, before you go you can check stuff out on youtube. And you'll love the sport just remember to stick with it and make sure what ever beginner class you take has some hands on casting. Well good luck and if you are ever on the other half of the state look me up I will take you.

4. Lonny

Lonny New Member

THnks for the info I will keep them in mind and check them out when I get out there.

5. Lonny

Lonny New Member

Yeah I will probably have about 4 days a week off while I am out there so this seems like a good way to stay occupied and out of trouble. From all of the posts that I have read on here so far it seems like a great resource and I am really looking forward to getting out there.

6. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Have you don't any kind of fishing? And try reading some or watching videos before you start just to give you kind of a head's up and you might want to go to a fly shop where ever you live and look and some rod's and reels get a idea of what you like, I can't speak on all shops but the one over here will set you up and take you out side and give you a few goes with it to see if you like it. That really helps because you guy might like something the other one doesn't and when you are spending your hard earned money I'm sure you want to get something you like.

7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Since you are going to be in Auburn, go see Anil at Puget Sound Fly Co in Tacoma.
    He'll help you out with casting and equipment.

8. Lonny

Lonny New Member

THanks for the input. I plan on getting in a few days before I have to report just to check the area out so I will definitely look him up.

9. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Welcome Lonny. We've got some great Fly Shops in the area. The Orivs in Bellevue has a great staff and some free courses non and then. Red's Fly Shop on the Yakima is a sort of destination lodge/shop/guide service. They have a beautiful location and some great classes.

My advice is to learn on small water first. The South Fork Snoqualmie is a great little river that runs along I-90. It's large enough that in spots you have plenty of room to make full, long casts, but small enough to be easy for a beginner to read. Get some basic gear, take your class and then head out there on a warm summer evening. With any luck you'll find a spot teaming with feisty little trout that are eager to inhale a dry fly.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.