New to Fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Seth Tyson, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Seth Tyson Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    I purchased my first fly rod about 6 years ago. Not because I wanted to fly fish, but because I needed a way to sling an artificial sand worm under a dock ( your classic Ahab story/ quest for an elusive fish). The fish was never caught, years passed, and The fly rod disappeared.

Then I moved to Spokane, and was bit by the fly fishing bug. I cant stop. and my spin and bait cast setups have learned their place in the basement.

I know little about traditional techniques , other than what I have seen others do online or across the river, But its been working out so far. I have devoted all of my free time to scouting my area and gathering as much info on the entomology of my new home rivers. Unfortunately, I'm at a point where I need guidance from another human. The Internet has been of little help as of late. I'm planning on taking a few classes this summer, but in the mean time help would be appreciated.

I currently have been using a 5wt redington Voyant and surge reel. Most of my luck/focus has been with trout, as I am hoping to catch a few redbands this summer. I could use some guidance on what kind of leader/Tippet would be the best. Any additional tips would be great.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +90 / 0
    For trout fishing, 90% of the time I use a 9 foot 5x leader. I will add 5x tippet once I have a couple re-ties, 2 to 3 feet of it. I may drop down to 6x tippet if the fish are finicky.

The other 10% I use a 3x leader for nymphing and apply the same technique above although I may stick with the 5x tippet, instead of 3x tippet.

Others may chime in with their setups.

Stew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    I'm a little unconventional, but this works for me:

I buy 7' 3x tapered leaders. I then tie on about 2' of 4x tippet. If I'm nymphing I tie my point fly to that. If I'm dry fly fishing I tie about 3' of 5x to the 4x, or for finicky fish, about 2' of 5x followed by 3' of 6x.

I hate buying leaders, they are just kinda expensive (for what they are...) -- and this setup lasts a long time. I'm not eating my way through leaders really fast.

Once the 3x on the original leader has been clipped enough times that it seems like 2x, I tie about 2' of 3x on the main leader, then 4x, 5x, 6x.

I replace the leader itself when I see a serious nick in it, or when it just looks kinda beat or aged, or when it has bad memory loops/kinks that stretching won't straighten.

This may sound like a lot of work... but not really. Ya get fast at tying double-surgeon knots and it's just second nature.
    GAT, Old Man, Krusty and 1 other person like this.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    I'm cheap with my Tapered leaders like Jim is. One will usually last me a whole season, unless I get pissed at it and put a new one on.
    Jim Speaker likes this.
  5. bkerbs Member

seattle,washington
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    I use 9' foot tapered mono for leader and 4lb to 6lb fluorocarbon tippet for trout. With dries flies I fish 9 ish feet of leader and nymphing varies on depth of water but a general rule for leader length is the depth of water plus half. With time you will find what works for you.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,682 / 0
    I start with a tapered leader and then add tippet material. I change the tippet material for the situation. Seldom do I end up replacing the entire tapered leader. I tend to add tippet material instead, same as Jim S.

Some folks like tying their own tapered leaders... personally, I'm not keen on all the knots that technique creates. When it comes to knots in leaders and tippet material, less is more in my world.
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    I tied my own leaders when I played around with the Spey thing. I always couldn't find long tapered leaders. Now that I'm older and I tend to shake a little in the hands, I use tapered leaders. Me and fishing knots don't get along very good anymore.
  8. Seth Tyson Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    Thanks for all the help!
  9. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    since I mainly steelhead I use 20lb 15lb 10lb and 8lb exclusively. However when I trout fish I I normally buy one leader as mention above and will add to it the whole season accordingly. I cannot justify spending 12 dollaars for a dam floru leader when I can I buy 4 different fluoros in large quantity and continue to keep tying on the sections as needed to the type of species and conditions which are at hand