New to Ft. Lewis Area

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wberumen, Jul 25, 2008.

1. wberumen

wberumen Waitin' for the old bucketheads to hit!

Anyone out there willing to give up some decent river/creek spots in the area that won't cost more in gas than a good fly rod? I'm still new to the area, and fairly new to fly fishing. I'm a Bass fisherman transplanted from Oklahoma! Actually the first fish I cought on a fly rod was an Asp in Baghdad last year. See http://www.baghdadflyfishing.com/ for an example. Anyway, other than the lakes here in Clearwood, I'm pretty much lost!

2. redleg

redleg New Member

Welcome, I'm also a transplanted bass fisher from OK(redleg) I have a limited knowledge of local rivers Nis, Descutes PCSed here last Nov. with even more limited luck. willing to share gas costs to other rivers ie Stealhead down at the Cowlitz etc. the Nis is decent fishin on FLW. PM for more info.

3. Dan

Dan Member

It sounds like both of you guys are military. I was where you are in 1982. It's gotten easier to figure out with the internet, but unfortunately Tacoma no longer has a fly shop, so you don't have a place to go close by that can show you the ropes. I believe there still is a fly fishing club down your way though. Somebody help me on that. Also, if you are military, there is a Healing Waters program at Madigan. A couple of fly guys are running that for wounded veterans. Help me out here Warren P. if you can. Who is the point of contact these days? Initially, the hard part is just knowing what questions to ask. A search of posts on this site about Fort Lewis or the Nisqually will produce some good information. For instance, see the post above about the Tank Crossing on the Nisqually. Good times are just around the corner! And WTF - only one reply and that from a soldier recently stationed at Fort Louise. Some of you PNW veterans give these guys a hand. Mike D. where are you? Thanks to both of you for your service. If I'm reading too much into your posts, I apologize, but I don't think that the meaning of redleg has changed and I believe the artillery school house is still in Oklahoma.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    WB & Red,

I've only fished the Nisqually once, and that was in 93 the last time it was open to steelhead fishing. It's popular for chinook and chum salmon fishing and is known for its combat style fishing, which is generally considered antithetical to fly fishing. If you'd rather not mix vocation and avocation, you're gonna' have to drive. For most of us who are passionate about our fly fishing, driving is what we do? Can't you guys commandeer a Humvee or something?

In order to get you headed in the right direction, you need to provide more information. What do you want to fish for? What kind of water (still or stream)? What do you have for gear? What are you able and willing to get if you don't have it already? What are you willing to put up with in terms of crowding, larger or smaller water than you'd prefer? Etc.? Got boats? Power, drift, raft, etc.? Waders (some guys expect to fish streams without 'em)?

Sincerely,

Salmo g. (60s era anti-war hippie)

5. wberumen

wberumen Waitin' for the old bucketheads to hit!

Thanks to those who have replied so far, it is much appreciated. Yes I am a soldier. Salmo asked what kinds of fishing I'm looking for, so for those interested, here goes. I have a 6 wt setup w/wf floating and am building a nice Batson 6 wt right now. So far, I've only fished in Iraq and at the lakes (...ahh, ponds) here by the house. They aren't bad, trout are hitting good on soft hackles and the bass will occasionally hit for me on buggers and deer hair poppers. I would like to get on some stream fishing and try to convince a few nice little trout to jump on my line (out of pitty of course). I do have waders, a fishing tube, and a nice little pontoon boat-nothing with power though. I think Red wants to hit some bigger stuff down south. I'm going to the Nisqually Tue morning with a buddy who's also new to the area/fly fishing. We'll see what happens. I'll add a report on the morning, or at least make up a good story about it!

Oh, Salmo-nothing wrong with being anti-war, I can respect that-as long as it doesn't become anti-soldier!

-Bill

6. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Bill, check out long lake in Lacey. The bass bite is pretty good on the North West and South west section of the lake. Also pick up a copy of Washington Atlas & Gazetter...There's allot of lakes to cover just in your area alone. Both on base and urban lakes. Find the right lake and there are still hold over trout in them. As for stream action, the upper Nisqually and even near Nisqually lake have some small trout.

Welcome to the Boards.

7. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I took Basic at Ft. Lewis in 1967. A long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Deschutes is a good cutthroat stream. Fished it alot when I lived in the Olympia Area.

But if you ever get to the dry side of the state write me a PM. We Army boys gotta stick together.

Keith

8. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Now things may have changed, but Ft. Lewis had some of the best small lakes flyfishing for years. Chambers Lake was a heck of a cuttie lake and Ft. Lewis has their own biologist committed just to the base fishery. Head down to Range Control and they used to have species ID books on every body of water on base per the base biologist. Maybe it's all gone, but I doubt it. I had some incredible float tube days on Chambers. Yes as a civilian. If anyone is tracking on where I am going PM me. Duffer

9. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:

welcome home-have you got the sand out of your ears yet-HOOAH
    try putting your float tube in at the cable crossing and floating down to the Tank crossing for a starter float, oars are all you need. You can also put in at the Tank Crossing and go all the way to Handicap if you're dying for a longer float.
    you'll find occasional pods of game little cutts, not many big ones, but WTF, right?
    Bob
    PS-other than a few midging cutts I saw two winters ago, haven't seen or heard of cutts in Chambers anymore

10. kerriganbrian1@mac.com

kerriganbrian1@mac.com New Member

Hello everyone,
    Im am a soldier as well. In fact someone mentioned Project Healing Waters out at Fort Lewis. That is exactly how I got into this sport. I have always wanted to learn to fly fish, ever since I saw the movie A River Runs Through It when I was a young kid.
    If anyone is interested in getting involved with Project Healing Waters send me an email. Its a great opportunity to instruct and guide wounded soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan. I started with the program a year ago and haven't picked up any bait or spinning gear ever since. I am finally converted to the only way to fish.
    As far as Fort Lewis, there are allot of great fly fishing lakes on the post and if you are not military the best way on is to take a vet with you. You can also go to the welcome center a get a pass to fish. Its a bit of a pain in the A$$ but worth it for the right place. Chambers is a great lake for trout and panfish but its pretty weeded up this time of year. There are a few great small mouth spots as well.
    I fished the Niqually from the tank bridge last Friday and hooked into a 20 pound King. Its a good spot. Go to range control and get a map on how to get there.
    This sport has been a life saver for me and I can vouch for the Project Healing Waters guys. When I started the program I was a wounded vet who could barley hold a rod and with my rehab, a lot of hard work, and help from the guys at Project Healing Waters I almost 100% and wettin my line a few times a week. "Fishing is Fly" Thanks, Brian

PS Here is my email kerriganbrian1@mac.com

11. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    were you the guy with the neck brace I saw down there? I was downstream fishing a twohanded rod

12. billkendrick831@msn.com

billkendrick831@msn.com Northsounder

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis in 86-87.American lake is partially in the fort and hasss good
    rainbow,kokanee and warm water species fishing.Nisqaully if its still open.Numerous lakes all over the base.Good searun fishing in the sound in that area too.The good fishing in American is just NNW of theVA hosp.PM me if you want more.
    It was a good place to be stationed,it beat Camp Hovey Korea for sure.I ended up staying in the NW I liked it so much.Thanks to all the vets on this forum for thier service .

13. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    That is where I caught the hog thats in my avatar!

14. Mr.E

Right on TJ:thumb:

Now start hitting that lake with a Fly Rod. .....btw,there are bigger ones in there then the one your holding;)

15. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    It dont do a whole lot of justice. Go to washington lakes and look at Long Lake, you will find my posting. I think I triple posted it by accident.:rofl: Was real close to 9 pounds.

16. Mr.E

I recognize the background of your avatar. I've Cnr'd a few of them bucket mouths through the years.

17. Tim Overbey

Tim Overbey New Member

Ha!!! Someone as new as me to the Lewis area. Just joking, I've just recently moved out from Ft. Campbell, so I know what you mean. I'm going to hit up Nisqually again, probably Sunday, if you would like to meet up, pm me. If you haven't noticed everyone here is pretty quick to help you and answer your questions. Let me know, and welcome. :beer2: