New To Spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Joe Goodfellow, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    I'm new to spey casting and wondering what leaders, sink tips I should have. I fish the green mostly in Kent and Auburn. I have one Skagit Flight SHD 550gr, and a Rio AFS shooting head 525gr. When should I fish the skagit line? When is a good time to fish the scandi line? All this is confusing for me at least thanks for the help

2. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

It can definitely be confusing getting started. The Spey section of the board has tons of information. Also, it looks like you're not too far from Puget Sound Fly Company. Anil is a super good guy and, I am sure, would be happy to spend some time with you. There are several shops and guides that offer Spey clinics in the Seattle area.

Being very general, your selection of line to use will depend on the situation and time of year. I usually think of Skagit lines for flyfishing winter and spring, delivering larger flies; and, when I want to fish deeper in the water column. There are a variety of sinking tips available depending on where in the water column you want to be. A good starting point would be Rio's MOW tips in 7.5' floating / 2.5' T-14 and 5' floating / 5' T-14. If you are just starting out, you will find that tips heavier than the ones suggest can be more difficult to cast until you gain some experience. In the winter, I use 3-4' of 12 pound Maxima as the leader.

Scandi lines are usually more for summer and fall and surface or just subsurface fishing. With Scandi lines, I add a clear 10' Polyleader, either Airflo or Rio, then the leader.
    Cheers,
    Ed

3. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    hey thanks a lot man I can't wait to get on the water

4. TD

TD Active Member

One thing I would add to the above info is that since Skagit Heads are typically short in length they require little room behind you. This is an advantage anytime of year if you are fishing jungle runs where the trees lead right into the water.