New to the 'Boo

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by weiliwen, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Last September, I purchased my first bamboo fly rod, from an ad posted by a long-time WFF member. As bamboo rods go, it was a cheap one, made from a Chinese blank, and I know that this sometimes generates some jawing, but it's what I could afford. The WFF member also built the rod from this blank, which I like.

Since it was to be a Christmas present, I lawn cast it once or twice, and I might have taken it to the local pond once to catch a few bluegill, before putting it away. I finally got to use it a little more in the past two weeks - Spring is coming very late to the Chicago area.

Now, I may have wiggled a high-quality (and price) bamboo rod around in the past, but I don't remember it, so I don't have a frame of reference. I will say that once I adjusted my casting speed to the rod, mine casts like a dream - I think I'm lucky enough that I have a reel and line that balance the rod correctly, so it casts nicely, and you get that intuitive feeling of the rhythm that the bamboo wants you to use. I can safely say that I have not cast as far as I possibly can with this rod, just as far as I need to on the waters I've used it on, so there is a good bit of reserve.

With two children nearing college age, I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a truly high-end bamboo rod for a long time, but must say I am having a blast with this one. I think that if a person wants to think about getting a bamboo, and is intimidated by the fear of picking up a decent old one, as I am, the low end rod would be just fine. At least, I feel I got my money's worth and more, and I guess that's what counts.

My opinions only, of course.

para_adams likes this.
  2. Very cool! You could be really screwed now :)

All things being equal, even if it's a cheap knock-off, if they used a decent taper it ought to cast just fine.

Something to consider: Some of the very best bamboo (in terms of casting and fishing) was cranked out by companies such as Granger, Phillipson, and to a lesser extent, Heddon. Plus of course the "trade rods" made by these outfits. A "low" grade Phillipson or Granger will cost you less than most new graphite rods. For the most part, the only real difference between grades is the clarity of the cane, and number of guides. And of course, the "preferred," and "peerless" rods from Phillipson are impregnated. Wright and McGill made a line of impregnated rods under their own name called "water seals" that were really nice, and generally cost less than a Wright and McGill Granger. There's no need to drop a mint on a good bamboo rod. Start saving now and keep an eye peeled on some of the more reputable dealers sites.

Lue Taylor likes this.