New to tying

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

So I got a vise and fly tying tools for Christmas but have yet to use it because I am intimidated by all the material and accessories that exist for tying. I'd like to start though and am wondering what are some basic materials I must have...specifically material for clouser and shrimpy patterns for SRC b/c that is what I am targeting this time of year. I don't have money to take fly tying classes so any advice is helpful. I don't want to go buy a whole bunch of material I don't need or cant even use so a list or some essentials would be nice.

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

You've come to the right place to ask!

First: You're gonna get a ton of good advice here, but sift through it all... then take what best fits you.

Second: I started just like you... very intimidated by it all (a long time ago). Start with very, very simple patterns like the Woolly Worm/Bugger.
    As far as materials go, don't get a starter kit. just buy a few things for a few different flies.

If you buy too much stuff..... you'll end up like the rest of us with hundreds of dollars of material you may never use again. :D

Like I said, you're gonna get some great, GREAT help here from some very generous guys on here <- that know waaaaaay more than me!

Have fun!

Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

4. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi Andrew,
    Here is an easy way to start. Go online (or search through past threads) for several go-to searun patterns (look especially at Roger Stephen's posts). Make a materials list for each pattern. If the thread doesn't have the full list of materials, you can probably find the material list after Googling the pattern online. Search for youtube videos that show you the steps to tie these flies. Head to The Fly Fisher in Lacey (talk to Bjorn) or go to Puget Sound Fly Company in Tacoma (talk to Anil or any of the nice folks there) and get their advise for the specific materials that you will need to tie those five or six patterns (probably a clouser minnow, a euphausid pattern, an amphipod pattern, and a popper to start). If it is slow, they will probably even have time to show you how to tie one or two while you are in the shop.

Also, start attending the monthly meetings of the Sound Sound Fly Fishers (3rd Tuesday of every month): see their web site at http://www.southsoundflyfishers.org/. There are a number of avid tiers there who would be happy to give you some pointers.

Steve

5. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    I'm a teen, and sometimes tying can be frustrating, other times you tie a fly that catches a 7 pound steelhead:). I started tying about 2 years ago, and now I'm going to be selling my flies in a store. Start with a San Juan Worm, then a Pat's Rubberlegs, and then maybe some simple scud and/ or shrimp patterns. Tying gets rid of stress, it's proven!

6. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

get their advice for the specific materials that you will need to tie those five or six patterns

That is a great point, keep it manageable and focused at first tie the same bug several times one after the other and most important take it easy and enjoy it

7. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

You might also check out your local fly club. For your area: http://www.southsoundflyfishers.org/

Don't know for sure what they have. I know our club just north of you (http://www.psff.org/) has many opportunities for fly tying education. Our next one is tomorrow (Saturday, 2/15, 9 AM, Chironomids) at Tower Lanes in Tacoma. We also have a regular tying get-together at 7 Seas Brewing in Gig Harbor. The next 7 Seas event is next Wednesday (2/19, 6:30) where the plan is to focus on steelhead flies. There are 2 pro tiers who, more-or-less, sponsor the event who are very willing to offer help and suggestions in your efforts.

Don't know your age group, but if you're concerned, 7 Seas is an all-ages venue. Hope to see you there.

8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

9. Andrew Shoemaker

Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice...as always. This site is great!

10. KevinLS

KevinLS Active Member

Hey welcome and good luck! I say buy a good ceramic bobbin, thats worth a few extra bucks. Just pick a few patterns you like that are simple, and go for it. YouTube and WFF are very helpful. And ask away there are a lot of helpful experts here.