New to Washington

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ColtonM, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ColtonM New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey everyone! My name is Colton and I just moved up to Seattle from Northern California to go to school. Lately I've been out on the Skykomish swinging and exploring around the Ben Howard/Tualco/Gold Bar areas, but haven't come up with anything. Lots of seemingly productive water, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I also came up on a couple of sketchy looking guys lurking around my car, and from what I've read about the area, instances like this are fairly common. Even though its closing soon, I'm thinking about trying my luck on the Skagit. Could someone help me out and tell me if there is better access for swinging on the Hwy 2 side or the South Skagit Hwy? I don't know many people up here yet, let alone anyone that fly fishes and has a boat, so I'm stuck to the shore. Should I concentrate my efforts below the Sauk or between the Sauk and the Cascade? I know the section from 530 below closes soon, but it would help to know where the fish are headed for future reference. Any help is greatly appreciated, if anyone needs any info on the streams around the Sacramento/Tahoe area let me know!
  2. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    colton this year has been pretty shitty for steelhead in general. The skagit is no better than the sky as of lately. As for the sauk it fishes best for steelhead during the closed time frame. Were starting to see the backside of a shitty hatchery season come to an end.

Your real option are going to be the OP for steelhead or the salt or yakima
    rory likes this.