New to Wenatchee WA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by greenback16, Feb 1, 2011.

1. greenback16

greenback16 New Member

Hello all,
    I just moved to Wenatchee and am looking for some info on rivers and creeks in the area that I can fish for trout. I do not mind fishing in the cold, and would like to get out this weekend, so info on areas that may be producing this time of year would be great. I like fishing large rivers down to tiny creeks so any knowledge I can gain would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Welcome to WFF and to Wenatchee! Unfortunately, there are no local trout streams open until the general season stream opener. The Wenatchee River is open for steelhead but make sure you really understand the regs as it has very special regulations and requires a special endorsement/fee as does the Methow River (also only open for steelhead). If you want to trout fish, the closest river is the Yakima River or a couple desert spring creeks, Rocky Ford and Crab Creek. All of these are about an hour+ from town. If you search the forum on any of these, you'll find tons of info. Ask if you have questions on any of them.

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Welcome aboard greenback16
    I go out to RF almost one a week to get my fishing fix.
    You are welcome to join, and first trip is on me.
    Still water is the game when the ice comes off.

4. Michael Vance

Michael Vance New Member

Good day, I am thinking of relocating to Wenatchee in the next year from the Northern Virginia area. I'm very interested in the fly fishing opportunities within an hour or so of town. I've noted the Columbia, Wenatchee, and Yakama rivers are nearby and look interesting. Are there any mountain streams with Brookies? Mike Vance

5. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Media:
    Albums:

The upper Entiat is open during the summer and offers brookies.

6. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

Summer time hit Icicle creek, above the hatchery has some tiny wild bows that are fun on a 3 wt. It is up around Leavenworth, ~20 min from the wetsnatch.

7. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Very few streams have brookies as they are not native to the west coast. Our mountain streams are more likely to contain rainbow and cutthroat trout. The Wenatchee River itself is never open for trout although a few of its tributaries are, including the Icicle River, which is about the closet stream fishing to Wenatchee (except a couple of 2-3' wide brushy creeks). The Wenatchee does not support much of a resident trout population but does open some years for salmon, steelhead and whitefish so I'd plan on bringing/buying an 8 wt. There are some streams open within an hour of Wenatchee as well as one of our most popular year-round trout rivers, the Yakima, which can be reached in an hour. Many of the Yakima tribs provide good summer small stream fishing too. There is also a popular spring creek a little over an hour away that is stocked and grows huge trout, Rocky Ford. The good news is that there is great fishing within 60-75 mins in any direction from Wenatchee. The bad news is that almost all good fishing is 60-75 mins from Wenatchee except the Icicle (45 min) , a handful of lakes (20-30 min), and of course, the Wenatchee itself if/when it opens for salmon and/or steelhead. Of course, the Columbia is open year-round but it hardly qualifies as a mountain stream, lol. There is a good FFF fly club in town, the Wenatchee Valley Flyfishers, and I'd recommend joining them and/or the TU chapter in nearby Leavenworth to shorten the learning curve.

8. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Welcome, have fun exploring this beautiful area, And as you can see from all the welcomes their a lot of great fisher people to have a great love
    For fishing and and the outdoors. As was already said a lot of streams and lakes in the area within an hour. Most of the members will point you in the right direction to look and explore, and some may invite you along.
    Kelly Michelsen

9. Michael Vance

Michael Vance New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. I suspect I will be coming out for a visit this Spring sometime in April I suspect to look around town and hook up with some of you if I can. I'll bring a couple fly rods with me. And I'll take a stab at tying some appropriate flys. Would a 5wt and a 7wt get the job done...I can bring a 9 or 10 if need be... don't have an 8wt. I drive to work one way for 1 1/4 hours and back again every day.... one reason I want the hell out of here.... so driving an hour to some really good fishing...is no problem for me my friends... I can do that.. I think I read that one can catch some large salmon on the Columbia... Saw some pictures of some monsters taken there... That'll do. I'm looking for ideas on where to live too. Also, I am a glider pilot, and would join the soaring club there in Wenatchee as well. More than happy to take folks for a ride once I get there...assuming nothing comes up to change that plan... I'm getting more interested the more I learn about the place. You guys have a great place to live looks like to me... Hope to see you later. Tight lines this weekend to each of you. Mike Vance

10. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

What they said, they are very good resources for the area. If you do a search on the areas they mentioned, you will find a lot of informtion that will help you in your search.

Seek and ye shall find.

MB

11. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

if you want to live by the airport try East Wenatchee or Rock Island, if you want to live in a small town try Cashmere, Monitor, Leavenworth, Orondo, Entiat, or Peshastin/Dryden

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The main river in the canyon used to be good for natives. I used to fish it with spinners before they closed it all down. Also Nason Creek used to be good with fish into the high teens. But this was about 40 years ago. Since they closed it all down there should be some nice fish in there.

13. Michael Vance

Michael Vance New Member

Hmmm... closed it down... I guess no fishing is allowed so that the fish population can recover from over fishing or perhaps a fish kill (natural or otherwise)... The south fork of the Shenandoah river in Virginia has historically been a great small mouth bass fishery...but about 15 or more years ago, there was a near annilation of the fish due to a disease that killed most of them off. The river has recovered a good bit, but it is still not what it used to be.. They suspect that it was run off from chicken farms and cattle. Water quality is vital no doubt and so is conservation of the fish population.

14. Michael Vance

Michael Vance New Member

Thanks for the advice.. I was wondering about those small towns along the Wenatchee river and others near by.. I'll look into that, thanks for the heads up..

15. Michael Vance

Michael Vance New Member

Hmmm. apparently I have been mis spelling the name of the town... lol ;-)

16. Michael Vance

Michael Vance New Member

40 years ago... well you certainly must be the patriarch of the Wenatchee fishing community for sure. Bet you could teach me a thing or two about fly fishing in Washington sir... Mike

17. Michael Vance

Michael Vance New Member

I've heard of Steelhead a long time, never caught one and I'm not sure if I've seen one live. Would like to get introduced to them. You have a good population of cut throat too I suspect. Again, I've not seen one of those live either. Around here, we have rainbows, browns, brookies, and a rare occasional golden trout to show up (I've only seen one a friend of mine caught one day in West Virginia). Mostly rainbows I think. The most popular sport fish around here is the Largemouth Bass and then the Smallmouth. On saltwater...hands down it is the Stripped Bass or as it is known by locals, the Rockfish.

18. Michael Vance

Michael Vance New Member

Thank you Kelly, my interest is growing for sure...

19. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Welcome to the forum. I can not offer you any sage advice because I have never fished the rivers near Wenatchee. I have visited Dry Falls and a few other lakes that are within driving distance. I live on the wet side, but my heart is on the dry side.