New Vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Aug 6, 2012.

?

What is your vise of choice?

1. Regal

12.1%
  2. Renzetti

36.2%
  3. Dyna King

6.9%
  4. HMH

13.8%
  5. Griffin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cotarelli

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other - add brand/model in the comments section

31.0%
  1. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

I"m in the market for a new vise and feel if i'm gonna drop a few hundred bucks i better find out what folks think of their current or former models

I currently have a no name brand vise i bought on ebay for $65 - i wanted a cheap rotary as at the time i wasnt tying a lot of flies.
    Now i tie everything from 8/0 salmon flies to rangeley style streamers, to classic wet flies to midges as small as 22/24

I need something to hold all hooks, and hold them well.
    Need rotary as it is so much easier to see whats going on on the other side of the fly

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Most vises are "good' vises and you can't get a definitive answer on "best".
    Your choice should depend solely on what works well for YOU.
    My personal preference is the Nor-vise.

3. pirate

pirate Member

I've got a norvise and a renzetti. Personally i prefer my norvise. it really is hard to go wrong with either vise. If i'm not mistaken, the Renzetti Master vise has the largest hook holding range without changing the jaws. that said on the other end of the spectrum, the peak rotary vise is exceptional value. happy shopping!

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I've got a non-rotary Regal, a Norvise and a Renzetti traveler. Right now my vise of choice is the Renzetti traveller. I suppose if I was more "fluent" in Norvise I'd be using that along with the Norvise bobbin. I do like the way the Regal holds hooks but with winding body material and ribbing I use the rotary Renzetti most.

5. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I suggest going to a shop and trying some of them out. At least you might pick out the features that are/are not important to you. I started on a Thompson but wanted a rotary for my next. I have a Renzetti Presentation 4000 and it does everything I want it to. I use it for steelhead (1.5 or 2) down to 22's. The Norvise owner was at the FFF show and he was doing some very slick things with his vise.

6. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

I am biased to one brand (and which brand that is is really irrelevant) so i too suggest going to a shop and trying some of them out. At least you might pick out the features that are/are not important to YOU.
    only YOU can decide whats right for YOU!

7. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Anyone of the first four choices would be fine. Haven't seen/tried a Griffin or Cotarelli. Presently tying on a 1960's vintage Universal vise and a LAW vise. Should you decide on an HMH, I have a new HMH Standard I'd give you a great price on.
    Jack
    PS Over the years, I've used many vises EXCEPT the Regal. After looking at it and trying one at a fly shop recently, I like it and it will probably be my next vise. I like the lever/jaw which clamps many sizes of hooks without any adjustment. I didn't know until now that it was available in a rotary. I don't tie rotary (I tried the NORVISE, just not my style) but I definitely want the rotary function to view the fly, tie on the bottom etc. I tie by hand.

8. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Nor-vise.

9. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

I went crazy and bought a J-Vice, and couldn't be happier. It is a badass vice, looks awesome, and the tube attachments are fantastic, which is a must for me. Jaws hold everything, although you can get midge jaws as well, but I haven't tied anything small enough to warrant them yet.

10. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I have a Peak and like it. With a few simple modifications I can change the jaws in about 30 seconds, so I use whichever jaw is appropriate to what I need. That being said, I now have vice envy for Steve K as I would love a J vice. I tried a Renzetti and sold it after breaking the jaws within the first 100 flies.

11. Pete Langevin

Pete Langevin Member

I have had a universal, a thompson 360 slt, a renzetti traveller, a regal
    Medallion c clamp and finally a norvise. I have the sw head and the midge
    Jaws. Does everything i need it to do. I had the chance to play with a law, that may be the only vise id give up my norvise for.

Lots of fantastic fly tying vises. Many more not mentioned here
    that will do the job as well, again vises are like cars one mans favorite may
    Not be everyone elses. Try as many as you can before you buy. You and your wallet will thank you.

12. Takoda

Takoda New Member

I've got the J-Vice as well. I didn't order the base because the shipping was insane. The cost is reasonable without the base. It is very high quality. I try to support independent craftsmen when I can.

13. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I saw that Wasatch custom tools was carrying them in the US when I was at the FFF convention in Spokane. Not sure if it makes any differences in price because they also need to ship them in.

14. Preston

Preston Active Member

Over the years I've had the opportunity to tie on almost every vise out there. I've always been partial to the no-nonsense Regal system, have owned/tied on several different models and have always been satisfied with them. Griffin's Montana Mongoose has proven to be a reliable and durable vise and the Peak is, in my opinion, an unparalleled value in quality and price.

15. S Fontinalis

Thanks for all the input guys,
    I ended up with an Anvil Atlas. Got it yesterday, so need to fine tune it to my requirements.
    Initial impressions are that is it sturdy, has night tight jaws and the price was pretty good too ($125)

16. Jack Devlin

Good choice on the vise. In addition to buying a good American made vise, you have bought into a company run by fantastic people. Don Vogel takes great pride in his products and will do anything to make sure you are satisfied. I'm a big Anvil scissor fan.
    Jack

17. S Fontinalis

Only problem i had last night was getting large hooks to set tight in the jaws. 1/0 and 2/0 salmon irons. they would move about (up or down) with tension on the thread. Probably me needing to find the sweet spot....

18. Jack Devlin

If I remember correctly, the Anvil only has one set of jaws which covers a wide range of hook sizes. I've had vises which required finding the "sweet spot". My Renzetti was like that - the HMH too. My problem with any vise is the way I tie. I jump around from size to size in the same tying session so I am constantly adjusting whatever vise I'm using. This is why I am leaning towards the Regal type vise where the tension on the jaws is always "on" and you have to release the jaw pressure to insert the hook. I think I will like that. I think that feature is why regal vises are popular in commercial fly tying. I also like the flat surface on the top upon which you can lay your hand and materials.
    You might get a kick out of the vise I am using. It is one made by Universal. Probably one of the first rotary vises. I've been tying on it for 45 +years. Modified/up-graded it a little over the years. It has it quirks. Talk about sweet spots.! But I like it.

Attached Files:

19. S Fontinalis

looks like it would hurt you!!

20. Denny

Denny Active Member

J-Vise?