New Vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Aug 6, 2012.

?

What is your vise of choice?

1. Regal

12.1%
  2. Renzetti

36.2%
  3. Dyna King

6.9%
  4. HMH

13.8%
  5. Griffin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cotarelli

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other - add brand/model in the comments section

31.0%
  1. Denny

Denny Active Member

I have a Renzetti Presentation, a Regal (with the stainless jaws) pedestal, a Thompson pedestal, and an old Price vise. Bang for the buck, I don't think those Thompson's could be beat. However, if I had to pick one, it would be the Regal. Or the Renzetti. No, it would be the Thompson. :) I'm not deserving of a Nor-Vise, nor with to crank out the volume of flies to justify one. I also like the portability and smaller "footprint" of the other vises relative to the Nor-Vise. I often use an old c-clamp Thompson as my travel vise because it is so light.

Part of your decision may hinge on what type and size flies you plan to tie the most. If you intend to tie many large(r) flies, and don't expect to crank them out, tough to beat a Regal for holding power and simplicity. Smaller (say, size 16 and smaller) flies? Renzetti.

They are all good! As others said, go scratch and sniff them and see which you like.

2. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Denny, J-Vice is made in South Africa by Jay Smit. He designed the vice himself and then began producing them. It sounds like he still does most of the production, assembly and testing himself. Kind of a one man show. Shipping is ridiculous, but now that Wasatch is selling them, that may come down.

http://jvice.com/index.html

3. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

shipping for the vise is $30 from SA, if you get the base, then its about $100...

4. mvalbano

mvalbano New Member

Im on the Jvice band wagon as well. It is incredibly made and the pro jaws a a wide range of hooks i believe up until a 22 or 24 and then they have midge jaws you can buy. If you can find a seocond hand LAW vise, that is another really well made vise that will last a life time and can hold the full range of hook sizes down to a 32.The nice thing about the Jvise and LAW is that they are made by a person not a company and customer service is second to none.

5. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

I have owned a Regal, HMH, Thompson and now a Renzetti Traveler and Renzetti Master Vise. I have ordered parts for the Regal and Renzetti and had them within a week,

I have three simple recommendations:

Get a true rotary vise.

Get a vise that you will be able to get parts for and can be repaired 30 years from now.

Because of rule #3, get a vise made in the USA.

The LAW vice is a wonderful, wonderful vice but what do you do if a part needs replacement or if it needs repair? LAWs are no made anymore. A nonworking vise is just a fancy paperweight.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  6. mvalbano

mvalbano New Member

Good point, but in regards to the LAW vise, even though Lawrie is not making them anymore, you can still get parts and accessories and they are life time guaranteed. The hard part is finding one for sale.

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

8. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Norvise!

I think Norvise is to the fly tying world what graphite was to the fly fishing world. Many hated it and found it going against the grain at first, but the advantages seem to outweigh most everything else.

9. fisherjon

fisherjon Member

i have a peak vice i think is pretty good i like it

10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I've been tying with a Regal that swivels for about 8 years now and it works well. I really love the fast clamp and honestly it has awesome holding power...rarely, rarely slips. When I visit my friend in Salt Lake, I use his Dyna-King and I really like that vise too...it's built like a BSH. I especially like it for tying big stuff...you could hang off the end of the hook and it won't slip. That said, I think Regal is tough to beat for the money.

11. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

i have the Renzetti 2000 for comercial tying and love it. i learned on a regal al love that to. but when i got the Renzetti 2000 for the rodery i have a hard time going back to my regal.

12. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Renzetti presentation, #28 to 4/0. Hols many hooks tight enough to bend them. Not sure about the 28's (i could never see something that small) but ive tied 18 and 20, and tons of 8-2/0 stuff. Its the sheet. Never wished i had another vice, 5 years later.