New waterproof cameras

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by tkww, Feb 15, 2014.

1. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Both Nikon and Canon have introduced new waterproof/rugged compact cameras. The Canon continues to be under-speced considering the marketplace, but I'm sure it's a fine camera. It's big point is how deep it can be taken underwater (25 meters!). It has some interesting movie/video options and built-in GPS.

The Nikon appears to be a decent upgrade from previous models.
    • A different lens that starts faster (f2.8 vs f3.9), and starts at a wider angle (e24mm vs e28mm)--though the same 5x zoom range so not as long on the telephoto end (e120mm vs e140mm)
    • Both US and Russian GPS for faster and better acquisition.
    • Better video options (more 1080 options, more frame rate options.
    • Longer battery life (albeit a slightly heavier camera).
    • An ~50% increase in resolution on the back LCD screen.
    • Wi-fi for transfer, but best of all it offers iOS/Android apps for control of the camera via a phone or tablet.
    • They're offering a silicone cover/case option, and a chest harness option (feeling the heat from GoPro? :)).

The Nikon AW120
    From Nikon's site

The Canon D30

Unfortunately it looks like nikon is using the same sensor, so don't expect too much in the way of better low-light/noise performance. They do offer two higher ISO options in certain modes, so they've either fine-tuned their NR algorithm and/or upgraded the processing engine.

I have a Panny TS-1 that I've used and enjoyed for years, but there are enough things about the AW120 that I might very well be upgrading....

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I find the new Olympus with the 21mm lens to be more interesting.

IMO, until someone actually integrates a functioning navigational GPS into these cameras, the GPS function is pretty useless. Unless you like giving away your fishing spots and burning battery power.

3. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Somehow I completely missed that introduction. 21mm is certainly interesting. It remains to be seen how good any of them are in the corners. I will rarely turn down mm's at the wide end, but I'm not sure I need 21mm in a fishing camera. Distortion/perspective is fun but also something that has to be managed. And I do prefer f2.8 to f3.5. (Olympus does have the TG-2 with a 25-100 f2 lens also.)

Nikon does allow maps to be used in their camera. I'm not sure/doubting much in the way of "navigational" features like waypoints and whatever. Personally I rarely use GPS for that, but more to it, I'd rather see a camera that's a better camera (or cheaper) and not a better GPS unit. Though the same case could be made for including GPS at all.

As far as giving away fishing spots: Some places that's a moot point (hey, surprise!, I was at Lenice). But for spots that I'd like to keep quiet...well, posting photos of them is, in general, just a bad idea. Just talking about them on the internet is a bad idea. But to the point, it's no biggie to me to strip the EXIF data if I'm going to post photos. But when I look back at photos taken 3 or 5 or more years ago I often find myself wondering where exactly it was taken. I may know what body of water, but not remember which spot on it exactly. I'd love to have that info. Battery drain? Sure, but everything has a cost. Video is a battery drain. But none of the features have to be used if one doesn't want to use them. You can leave GPS off.

4. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Panasonic upgraded the TS series. The latest is the TS-5. One of the upgrades is being able to set the exposure manually. And it offers WiFi transfer and apps to control it from a smart phone as with the Canon and Nikon.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-TS5D

5. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    And the TS5 has NFC in addition to Wi-Fi. My only real complaint about the Panny TS1 is the lens, and they haven't changed that from what I can tell. The lens is fine wide angle, but absolutely falls apart at the telephoto end. I realize that I'm a little picky since I'm used to using zoom lenses that by themselves cost many, many times what these cameras do.

So I guess I'm hoping the Nikon does a little better. The lens also starts wider and faster max f-stop throughout it's range compared to the current TS5 (I'm betting the TS6 has the 24-120 lens). The Nikon also has twice the resolution on the back LCD (900K vs 450K) and a few other/more video options.

I've loved the TS-1. I had an early pentax optio WP camera before it, and that thing was a huge POS. A really poorly designed camera. I was so excited when it died. The TS-1 has been reliable, battery lasts a long time, etc. I have nothing "bad" to say about it. It's made me a believer in the Panny brand. But, all things considered, if I were picking a WP camera up today, it'd probably be the Nikon AW120.