newbe

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jim Hartwell, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Jim Hartwell Jim

Tulalip Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi all
    I want to start fly tying
    Is there a kit out there I should be looking at or how is the best way to get started?

thanks

Jim:hmmm:
  2. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    i would advise against buying a kit (usually low quality tools and materials you wont even use) and buy your tying tools and materials separately.

a good tool kit put out by Dr slick. check out the "tyer" set

http://drslick.com/2009/products_giftsets2.asp

the best place to learn fly tying is at your local fly shop if they have lessons or a fly tying club etc.
  3. Nozzelnut New Member

Rochester, NY
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Like Norm said, try your local fly shop first. They usually have more than enough in the way of supplies to get you started. And they know what's working on your local water. Prices are generally good on the tying supplies, but even if they're a little higher you're paying for help/information/answers too. As for vises(rotary or not, up to you); ebay used to be a great place to buy them, but you might want to try your local craigslist or even the classifieds here if you can't find the one you want in the shop.

If you don't have access to a nearby flyshop; youtube has a ton of videos too. Or if you'd rather read along there are a lot of books out there from classic patterns to how to tie X pattern for Y river during Z month.

I'm sorry though, you wont save a dime tying your own flies. And probably spend a lot more than just buying flies....