newbie.... kinda

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by MX 846, Nov 1, 2012.

1. MX 846 Delusional

Oly Pen... What?
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I just wanted to drop you guys a line a let you know I'm out here. This is my 411 I have been "lurking" on this site for about 3 years and feel like I Almost already know some of you. I never posted or commented cause my knowledge was and still is limited. I feel this is the next step in my progression. I started fly fishing 6yrs ago.... a good friend took me to Dry Falls. When I got home I bought my first fly rig and been at it ever since. I have spent a fair amount of time on the still water, rivers, and creeks. Have not had much salt action.... I have been lucky enough to pull a couple SRC in. Trying to focus on this side of it a little more right now. Not looking for any poached info from anyone (my fishing only gets better when I'm doing it anyway). Just thought sometime maybe when I'm in someones area we could hook up and fish.... no "secret" spots just people to fish with when I'm outta my area. look forward to B.S'en more. MX 846 p.s. is it normal that when people ask "why I fly fish?" my answer is never as cool as it feels in my head? sorry thought this was Dear Abby won't happen again.
    Ed Call likes this.
  2. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +201 / 0
    Welcome to the boards! About 95% my fishing this year was in the salt. It's winding down for me pretty quick here (after the chum are gone), but it's been a hell of a year. There are lots of good oportunities in this area for this unique salt fishery. I take it you're on the Olympic Peninsula, great fishing oportunities over there (as I'm sure you know). I'm sure people would be more than happy to trade some salt fishing in their area for some river fishing on the peninsula (myself included). Have fun out there!
  3. MX 846 Delusional

Oly Pen... What?
    thanks for the welcome.... gonna spend the weekend in the salt and I will let you know how it goes. Yes I'm on the peninsula and there is great fishing as well. I think once I hook a chumy or a coho maybe it will settle the nerves a little (feel I need to get that one salmon outta the way and my mental process might be less over worked)
  4. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    Right on man, you are in the right spot. I learned everything I know (still on probation) from the guys on this forum. My advice for right now? Hammer your side of Hood Canal for SRC. You'll get your biggest fish of the year between now and January. I always plan to head to your side, and never make it. Salmon are a pain in the ass... don't make that the only thing you chase. Obviously chum are in and a great oportunity, but searuns are year round and my favorite quarry along with many guys on this site. Think a morning of chum, then cruise to a searun beach for a couple hours.

Ask any question you want, the salt guys always have an answer. The Coho/Chum/Lingcod 2012 threads have so much info it's not even funny. The coho guys have it locked down. Searuns? Start searching post's, it's ridiculous.

Cheers,
    Steve
  5. MX 846 Delusional

Oly Pen... What?
    thanks Steve.... and your right. I think thats the plan for the weekend. Getting my stuff together now and over thinking everything!