Newbie - Spey advice

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sahalee, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Sahalee

Sahalee Fishin' beats workin'

I am looking for some tips. I am a newbie to the forum and feel like a newbie to fly fishing even though I have been doing it off and on for some time. This is the first of my newbie questions.

I have a spey rod and have been practicing casting, now it is time to try to catch something. I am looking for some advice on where to go. I was in a shop the other night trying to ask a guy and all he would say condescendingly was, "any of the rivers" with a snear. I'm looking for a little more guidance than that. If someone out there could give me a tip on where "exactly" to go I would really appreciate it. I don't mean "exactly a place to catch fish", I know that is not reasonable, I'm not that new. I just wan't some advice on a place to perhaps spey fish for some steelhead. I am going to have my attention on trying to spey fish for the first time, I don't want to have to try to be Lewis or Clark in trying to find a place.

The Newbie appreciates any help. Please go easy on me ;+)

2. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    1: Start out going SOUTH on NE 33RD PL toward E LAKE SAMMAMISH PKWY NE.

2: Turn LEFT onto E LAKE SAMMAMISH PKWY NE.

3: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto NE INGLEWOOD HILL RD.

4: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto 228TH AVE NE.

5: Turn LEFT onto ISSAQUAH PINE LAKE RD SE.

6: Turn LEFT onto SE 32ND WAY.

7: SE 32ND WAY becomes SE 32ND ST.

8: SE 32ND ST becomes SE ISSAQUAH BEAVER LAKE RD.

9: Turn LEFT onto SE DUTHIE HILL RD.

10: SE DUTHIE HILL RD becomes 292ND AVE SE.

11: Turn RIGHT onto SE REDMOND FALL CITY RD/WA-202.

12: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto PRESTON FALL CITY RD SE/WA-203.

13: Turn LEFT onto SE DAVID POWELL RD.

Total Est. Time: 32 minutes Total Est. Distance: 14.15 miles

Near the end of SE DAVID POWELL RD, you will see a couple pullouts or dirt patches where you can pull off on the north side of the road facing the river. Walk out into the water and start fishing. It may take two to four years of fishing but keep trying for your Steelhead.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    All in all with those directions I would be sure to get lost. There is a quicker way to get there. Just go to Fall City And follow the crowds. There is access under the bridge there and if you head toward Carnation,there is access at the park and up stream from there. Where the Tolt dumps into the Snoqualmie is another good place. All of these spots are well known.

Just get a good map and do the Lewis and Clark thing. Most of the info you try to get here has been found that way. Nothing will be handed to you. You will find some spots but the good ones you will have to find yourself. Sorry to be this way but I have had to find all my spots this way. Nothing is easy.

Jim

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Oh come on Jim, just because we found found a ton of spots just by driving doesn't mean everyone else should. Think of the thousands of miles we drove together looking for new holes with just a map and a tank full of gas. We Lewis and Clarked every damn river in the state north of I-90. Nobody made it easy for us. Why hell, I might even just go down there and meet him. See if I can't cast his rod and catch a MONSTER steelhead for him. So here ya go Sahalee. I'm including a map. I have even drawn arrows to EXACTLY where to go.