Newbie spey casts

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jordan Simpson, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Hey, I've recently acquired a 3/4 trout spey (Amundson 11' 3/4wt with a Hardy Uniqua) and am really wanting to get into this spey game for this upcoming chum fry hatch.

The river I fish is the Squamish and the spot we usually fish flows from left to right.
    I was just wondering if there were a couple beginner casts that I should learn first over others since there seems to be a million different casts (snake-roll, double-spey, perry poke, snap-T, etc).

If I could get some suggestions for a beginner casts for a river that flows left to right, and for one that flows from right to left, that would be great.

Thanks everyone.

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    If you're a beginner, and if you're using a skagit head, the skagit double on river right and the snap C or snap T on river left, unless you're casting left hand up or there's a contrary wind.
    river flowing left to right when you're looking at it equals river right (right side when looking downstream).
    Can I suggest you go fishing with someone who knows how to cast, it will help A LOT.

3. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Yes, I will be using a Skagit head...

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I learned the double spey from both sides first. I've learned a few more since then, but if I had to do it again, I'm pleased with what the double spey allowed me to do right out of the box.

5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Albums:
    the double spey is going to be the best cast to learn for starters anyway.

6. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    I just started last year and had a few lessons. Learned the single and double spey and that carried me through the year. I use a scandi setup. Fooled around with a snake roll on my own and am very inconsistent. Only using one side, need to start learning how to use the other. I took a half dozen trips to the river early in the year after watching the videos and such and could get the line out there, but a couple of lessons with a great teacher made all of the difference in my casting.

7. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I have that same rod , and if you insist on using a Skagit head , the double-spey , and the snap C will serve you well.
    I much prefer a scandi head on this rod , and will use the single spey and snakerolls .

Either way , the rod likes some lower hand pull with short heads .

8. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not a great caster, but can kind of get it out there (though not always pretty) with all of them...my advice is practice them all from both sides of the river. IMO if you rely too heavily on one cast you'll inevitably end up in a situation where that cast just won't work for whatever reason. In addition, they use different musle groups and after 8 hours of double speying maybe a snap t or a snake roll might be a welcome break.

9. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Intermidate caster, so take the advise as such. My main two cast have been snap t,c,z (basically same cast) and a double spey. If you can do them cackhanded you can fish either side of the river, wind up or down stream. Started doing a single spey with a scandi head last fall, very effortless and I think would be good to learn with your rod.