Newbie spey question.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by John Hicks, Jul 13, 2006.

1. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've been casting one handed for some time and this winter I went out with Steve Buckner on the O.P. Well needless to say after about oh....uh....um.....two seconds on the two hander I was hooked. Now here is the problem. I don't know what rod to start out with. I have been looking at the TFO and the CND rods. I'm thinking I want a 9/10 wt to handle both steelhead and Strippers since I do live on the East coast. I really liked Steve's Sage but I don't have the money to drop on one. I can spend no more than 400 on my rod prefferably 300. I have an Orvis Mach V for a reel.

Does anyone have any wise advice for a novice?

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    John,

You're a few $ shy of a CND, rods which I think highly of. In the alternative, if you don't mind "rolling your own", you would end up with a very nice rod made from the Rainshadow Forecast 11 1/2 or 12 1/2' rod blanks for less than $150.

I don't think you need to go to 10 wt for stripers. A former co-worker of mine fishes Rhode Island for them using a single hand 9 wt, so I think an 8 wt two hander would be more than adequate. And I know an 8 wt is plenty adequate for any steelhead that swims.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

3. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think Salmo is spot-on. The only thing to add - if you are set on a finished rod & you like the CND's (i think that they ROCK too!) -- you might take a look at their brand-new Black Series rods. They are in the $400 range.

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Well, in some places I've fished, the fly being thrown determines the rod used for stripers more than the size of the fish... Are you throwing Bunkers? Not much choice then! For two handed overhead beach fishing I prefer something a little shorter than the standard 14fter, more like between 10.5 and 12 feet. Check out the switch rods that are available. Beulah's are in your price range and I use a 7/8 out here on the west coast. Few places around that I'd want to fish steelies with a 9/10 though... An 8/9 switch would handle most of your striper needs, and would be a good solid steelie/salmon choice.

I do have a rod for sale in the classifieds right now for $300... Dec Hogan 14ft 9 wt. Shameless plug concluded...

5. twohander

twohander New Member

400bucks for black series rods?? where did you hear this? i was under the assumption these series of rod coming out from cnd was going to be one of thier premium priced series.

whatever you get , you are probably looking for a faster action rod if you are going to be fishing for stripers, asssuming you will be mostly overhead casting for them.

9/10wt in a two handed rod is an over-kill..that can equate to a 12/13/14wt single hander.

Only advantage of going heavier will be if you fishing in some heavy duty winds.

6. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the input guys and Lady. I was looking at the 9wt because I will use it for Stripers, Steelhead, and also Salmon (atlantic and pacific). I have an 8wt Dancraft FT1080 Miralette (shameless James Mello plug) 10ft single hander.

7. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sorry - I remembered 'around' $400. Still very affordable as CND rods go - but they should be classified in the $400 - $500 range:

13' 6/7/8 is $460
    13' 8/9 is $520
    14' 8/9/10 is $520

8. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    John, Try a TFO.

I've had the CND 1308 custom, and played with the VT from sage. I like my TFO 6wt better than those two rods. It is very light weight and very fun to play fish on. It's only $250 and has a no BS lifetime warranty.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/professional.html

The 13'3 8wt looks like a good deal for ony $250.

Justin

9. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    John, The very best way to see what will "work for you" is to take a test drive on you local water. If you can't arrange one locally I will send you a
    TFO 14'-9/10 demo rod for a weeks test drive. Your only obligation being the return postage.