Newbie to Forum wondering...Any Flyfishers with an opinion? (haha)

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by CastIronTrout, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I went to the link, and yes, that should work fine for one yak. Max capacity is 250 lbs and that's plenty. I saw some deluxe and expensive p/u truck racks made by Thule that mount on each of the rails with bars that go all the way across. For one yak, that ladder rack will accomplish the same job for less $$.
    A few of my local surf buddies who are carpenters/builders just haul their boards and other toys on their over-cab ladder racks.

Lots of yakkers use some kind of "saddles" on their crossbars to better hold the yak hull. Without saddles, you can probably haul your SOT lashed on upside down. My U-12 goes on upside down. I already had some old Yakima saddles that I use for my Tarpon 140, so it rides deck up, but I think I could get that on upside down without 'em.

In your original post, you also mentioned storage. Always store poly hulls out of the sun. I keep mine locked up in my garage. 303 is good sunscreen for the hull, if you are car-topping it in hot-sunny weather any distance. UV eventually breaks down the polyethylene over the years if you leave 'em in the sun.

2. CastIronTrout

CastIronTrout New Member

Thank you for the reply. I had considered the saddle idea, but as a "newbie", not certain where to start. I figured I would come up with a dense or closed cell foam for the crossbars which would not only pad the kayak, but contour to it as well (wishfull thinking). The five feet or so that rides above the cab, will also be padded some how, but as more of a support. As for storage, mine will also be kept in a secured garage. In the past I've kept the two Pontoon boats I own near the ceiling and suspended by a pulley system. I assumed I will be doing the same with the kayak. The aluminum boat stays in the yard and the truck's in the driveway as the garage has always been more of a shop and for toy storage. Probably using the "newbie" alibi or defense to much, but haven't heard of 303.:confused: I'll have to surf the Web to see what that's all about and maybe take a look at some other ideas for the saddles. I like the Yakima line, but as mentioned it can be a bit pricey. I think I'll give the ladder rack a try. Hopefully I'll like it and maybe be able to offer some pros and cons on this and the NWKA forum. Thanks again Jim. :thumb:

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Personally, I'd go with a ladder rack for my work truck before I put an expensive sport rack on it. Sport racks may look cooler, but that ladder rack will get the job done just the same for much cheaper. You might want to get the rack, and maybe some foam pads for the bars, but wait until you fit your yak to the top to see what other attachments you will need, just so you'll get the right stuff.

303 is sunscreen for plastics and maybe some rubber compounds like tires. Expensive stuff. Poly hulls eventually get broken down by UV. That takes several years of leaving it in the sunlight all the time, though. If I were going on a road trip for a few days or more in sunny weather and/or always car-topping my poly-hull yak, or often leaving it on the racks parked in the sun, I might treat it. I have some, but have used it mainly on other stuff like my spray skirts. I haven't applied any to my hull yet, since I worry that the smell might put off the cutthroat bite. I imagine leaving a trail of 303 molecules everywhere I paddle if I put that stuff on. I just try to always keep my boats in the shade when I'm not paddling or transporting them. Most of the time I'm out paddling early, late, or on foggy or overcast days, so the UV isn't as intense.

4. CastIronTrout

CastIronTrout New Member

Good man...somewhere I had gotten the impression you did the majority of your angling in salt water. My new improved assumption is maybe not, since spooking cutthroats with 303 molecules is a concern. I may get up north and try some bays or inlets some day, but am primarily buying the first kayak as a freshwater vessel. One of my first destinations will be Merrill Lake. I will have missed the majority of the Hex hatch, but for no more technical of a fly fisher than I am, I’m guessing the trout will forgive me. Its not a bad sized lake and I figure it’ll be good for getting acquainted with the kayak learning curve and with catching any trout secondary.

I had done an Internet search since inquiring about 303 finding quite a bit of information and several opinions that may as well have been paid endorsements as they sounded a bit polished. There were also some forum questions that compared it to Armor All, but of course the 303 was touted as being far superior, which maybe it should at five times the price. Going to have to ponder that one longer and in the mean time, once again follow your lead and store my kayaks in the garage, in the shade as much as possible and I'm all about cloudy, overcast and foggy days.....seems to me the fish are too.