Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by soccerstud, May 6, 2005.

1. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

were should i go to try salt water fishing with a fly for the first time? someplace somewhat close to seattle although I don't mind driving that much.. Any info or tips would be apreciated, thanks.

2. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Soccerstud, do a search on this site for sea run cutthroat (and variations on spelling) to get as much information about the subject as there is to be had anywhere in the virtual universe or beyond.

Pick a water front park you want to become familiar with, something close to you, and go fishing early tomorrow morning, before the joggers and strollers are out in force.

Keep a journal to determine the best time and tide phase, as each beach fishes differently depending upon the tidal phase. Go up the learning curve now, as later this year the pink salmon are coming, and you're probably going to like throwing line out and not knowing what might hit your fly: cutthroat, silver salmon or pink salmon. The cutthroat move around frequently from beach to beach, so yesterday's hot fishing beach may be today's skunk, but you may find it worth the bother.

NOTE: Wash all of your gear off thoroughly when done.

3. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

so does it really matter were I go? just any water front park? and I have been curios if there are any surf perch my grandpa taught me how to fish for them in california is it to cold up here or are they around?

4. thestocksguy

thestocksguy New Member

Point-No-Point at the LightHouse, sink-line, & a Silver Doctor Two-barb. Slack ebb gets exciting. You should have a hundred backing too. Tubes work in Aug - Nov. Kings lay very deep, the live herring drift with 4oz.

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

A good place to start would be any of the city, county or state parks that have access to saltwater. Lincoln, Kayak, Golden Gardens, Meadowdale, Karkeek come to mind. Pick up Les Johnson's book, "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout" for information on methods, tackle and fly patterns. Pick a park and begin by going to it and learning it's tides and fishery. Avoid skipping around to and fro from beach to beach as you won't gather enough baseline information. Remember, when you're beginning, you will learn just as much by not seeing or catching anything as when you do.

Leland.

6. estill

estill Member

The surf perch are out on the coast. My grandpa gave me a surf fishing pole and I went after them at Ocean Shores in April. I used razor clam necks for bait, but I want to get back down there and try tossing a fly at them.