Newie (sort of)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jeff Sawyer, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +230 / 0
    I haven't tied for about 12 years now but I'm about to get back into it. I'm looking at vises and I think I've narrowed down to the following (not set in stone) but wondering if you guys had any thoughts on these or something else in the less than $200 range.

Peak Rotary Vise
    Spartan Rotary Vise

I'm not planning to tie anything super small but maybe around a #16 but will probably focus mostly on larger spey flies 1/0 2/0 and occassionally bigger if I do any tarpon or bass.

I know I'll probably need extra jaws for the larger flies.
  2. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +229 / 3
    Jeff,

I tie on a peak and like it. That being said, I've been known to let my eyes linger over a spartan occasionally. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
  3. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +230 / 0
    Thanks guys actually I stopped by the fly shop on the way home today and ended up buying the Renzetti Traveler.
  4. powpow Member

the ridge
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have the PEAK Trailhead Package that comes with the Peak Rotary Vise. I got this for my birthday last year and have probably tied 200-300 flies on it. Great vise! It has a smooth rotary, but you have to set the tension just right.

The normal jams do me well. I have tied size 8-22 flies on it and holds them perfect. I don't realy use the bobbin holder. though i did flip the bobin hilder over adn tie spare hackle pliers on to the end of the bobbin holder to have it hold my parachute or wings.