Next January in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by JS, Jun 20, 2012.

1. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    So I will be headed to New Zealand's South Island December 27th of this year, and I will be there dirtbagging it for a month. We will be spending all of our time on the South Island, specifically around Wanaka. My cousin and I are going to be backpacking up some drainages that I have been researching. Here is what I need help with:

-Good recomendations for local fly shops
    -Any killer guide reviews (my GF will be with us for a week and I wouldn't hate booking someone with some legit spotting skills to put her on some fish)
    -Good places to pick up backpacking goods
    -Map sources for drainages around Wanaka/Clutha River and surrounding areas (besides Google Maps, smart arse)
    -Trails and other sights that are not to be missed in the area.

I already know the fishing program, I don't need to hear "It's a sight fishing game, and you better be able to throw long leaders a long ways". But, If you've got some low down dirt, let me know!
    Thanks in advance!
    Jarad

2. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Also, if you feel the need to drop a nugget via PM, that is 100% okay!
    Cheers,
    Jarad

3. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    Wish I was going. I spent 2 days on the South Island boondogging off a work trip. I'd love to spend months there and learn some water. No advice on your area. My spotting skills were OK. Wind was howling when I was there making casting tough. After my trip I'd wonder about overlining the rod. Most spotting and casting had to be done really fast and pretty close. So there may be benefits to have more weight out of the rod tip to cast quick. Awesome place.

4. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Right on, I am so stoked! Interesting that you bring that up. I anticipated the wind somewhat, and I am bringing my 10' Ion 6wt loaded with a 40+ floating line for just such a senario. Those things have a super fat head that will load up that ion with almost no line out. Also bringing my 690-4 Z-Axis, and my cousin will be carrying my 586-4 and another six wt. I figure we will be pretty covered with that quiver, and there isnt much else we could do, because weight is an issue backpacking and all.

5. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

But why would you go in the winter? :D

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Interesting choice, Wanaka area for a month.

-Good recomendations for local fly shops: Last I knew, there were just a couple of general outdoor shops. Wanaka is a small town. Think Chelan-sized. The main business district is only a few blocks square.
    -Any killer guide reviews (my GF will be with us for a week and I wouldn't hate booking someone with some legit spotting skills to put her on some fish): Didn't fish with a guide so no clue.
    -Good places to pick up backpacking goods: Except fuel and maybe maps, bring them from home if at all possible. See above; only a couple of choices and things that you'd buy in the US tend to be expensive.
    -Map sources for drainages around Wanaka/Clutha River and surrounding areas (besides Google Maps, smart arse): Land Information NZ publishes topo maps, avail. at the local DOC office or the 2 sporting goods stores.
    -Trails and other sights that are not to be missed in the area: About the only memorable thing was Puzzling World, a small tourist attraction. Did a fly-in, jet boat out trip up the Wilkin out of Makaroa which was cool but the fishing left a lot to be desired. Same for the other rivers in the area that I hit. In 5.5 months of fishing, I had way better fishing elsewhere but it sounds like you've got some good places scoped out.

7. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Wanaka is beautiful. The people of NZ are really friendly. Hit up Fishy Steve (fishysteve.com). He is a guide on the North Island, but knows his way around the whole country. Good luck.

8. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    I have a few pretty decent leads, but I am open to just about anything within a resonable drive from Wanaka. That is where I am spending the first week with my chick and some family. That is also where I have to head back to to fly out, so I dont want to blow much time driving around chasing leads. The more I think about it the more I think that we are going to rent a rig, so I will have the ability to hit a variety of drainages. I would like to spend the majority of our time hiking and not driving. As far as the guide thing, that is for my chick only, so if we don't find someone worthy I'm not worried about it. Thanks for the input, Freestone, keep it coming if you have any rivers that are within a reasonable drive.

Thanks for the info Rory, I will have to look into that.